~8~ Don't Take It Out On Them

Magnolia's POV

"I'm so sorry, Mrs. Whitlock. I didn't mean for anyone to be upset..I was trying to....I'm really sorry," I say softly as we walk around the ranch in complete silence.

She stops and turns on her heels, glaring so hard at me that it makes me gulp. "You tryin' to swindle money outta this family's ranch? Because iffin you are, I'll hogtie you up and leave ya for Roscoe to feast on."

"Roscoe?"

"One of our bulls"

Tears spring to my eyes but I shake my head and stuff them back down. "I'm trying to take care of my brother and sister. That is it, Mrs. Whitlock."

She studies me hard and finally nods. "I reckon it ain't you I'm mad at. You must've gone through a spell of a rough time to agree to such foolishness."

When my chin quivers, her eyes soften and she sighs loudly. "Can we start over?"

At my questioning gaze, she reaches out her hand. "I'm Rachel."

I shake her hand and nod. "Magnolia..But everyone calls me Maggie."

"May I call you Maggie?" She asks softly.

"Yes," I sniff as I wipe the single tear that falls and straighten my back once more.

"Eli is a good man....But I've never seen him so angry before. Don't judge him off of first impressions, Maggie."

I see Theo and Rosie walking behind Elijah, and I turn in their direction. "What's wrong, little one?" I ask when I get close enough to see the scowl on Rosie's face.

"He says I can't take Susan to my new house."

I see Eli clench his jaw in frustration, but he avoids looking at me as he stops next to Rosie.

I bend down and kiss her nose. "Ah, that's okay. She's probably having too much fun playing with her brothers and sisters. And you don't want to take her from her momma, do ya?"

"What if his momma don't want him like mine didn't?" She asks, and I see just a fraction of an expression on Eli's face as I turn back to Rosie.

"He? I thought you said its name was Susan."

"Mr. Levi says he can't make it a girl. I already asked...But Maggie, it's got the cutest whiskers."

I fight a smirk as I nod. "I'm sure you can visit Susan as often as you'd like."

She looks up at Eli, but he refuses to look at her, and that instantly riles me up and I suddenly can't hold my tongue.

"I understand, sir, that we have completely changed your entire world. But I would appreciate you only taking it out on me. Your anger is off limits to these children."

He actually shifts his feet and glances at Rachel for help, but she only shoots him a stare that straightens my spine. He takes a deep breath and looks at Rosie. "You can visit him as much as ya want."

Rosie accepts that as she tucks her little hand into mine and pops her thumb in her mouth. I start to take her thumb out, but change my mind.

She needs something to soothe her right now.

"I'm gonna leave you four be so's you can settle in. Eli, bring them to supper at 5:30."

"Yes'um," he mutters as he starts walking again, not once looking in my direction.

~*~

We trek up a small hill and I instantly feel relief. Even though it isn't as stunning as the main house, this house is also very respectable. It is smaller, but the view is quite breathtaking with its rolling hills and grassy terrain, and the big mountain is visible and showing off its beauty.