~15~ Church

I haven't been able to drop bonuses lately, but I plan to this week. Thanks for being here❤️

Magnolia's POV

When we all walk down to the main house to leave for church, Micah gives us a smile.

"You three look right nice. Eli, go hitch up yur team before we're late."

"My team?" He asks as he tilts his head in confusion.

Micah looks at him hard and nods slowly. "There ain't no sense crammin' in one wagon and wrinklin' our church clothes. Yur takin' yur family in your own wagon from now on."

Eli snaps his jaw shut and blows out a breath.

"Problem?" Micah asks.

"No," Eli spits out as he goes to the barn. About five minutes later, he drives the team into the yard and hops down.

"Let's go," Micah says to the twins, and they jump in the back of their wagon while Micah helps Rachel in the front.

Theo picks up Rosie and puts her in the back of ours, and I seriously contemplate going in the back with her and making Theo sit with Eli.

Theo turns to me and offers his hand, and I blow out a breath as I take it and climb in the front. I turn and see Eli glaring at us for a moment before he climbs in the wagon himself.

~*~

The way his leg feels against mine is one I wasn't expecting, and it brings tingles of something up and down my spine. He tries to discreetly shift so he's as far away from me as he can be, but he's not a small man. While he looks that way compared to his brother, Eli is strong and his shoulders broad.

"Maggie?" Rosie asks from her place in the back.

"Rose?" I mimic in the same tone, causing the little girl to giggle.

"Iffin I say I hate church, will ya git angry?"

I turn in my seat and look at her in horror. "Why would you say such a thing, Rosalind?"

She blows out a breath and crosses her arms. "My body don't like to keep still and you always git cross with me."

I nod. "Being quiet and listening in church is important; But that's no reason to hate it."

She stands in the wagon, and Theo helps steady her as she walks up behind us and taps Eli on the shoulder.

"Mr. Eli?"

"Miss Rosie?" He asks, almost giving her a smirk over his shoulder.

"Did you stay quiet when you was a little kid?"

"Don't reckon I had much choice. My pa didn't take ta makin' noise at church."

"What did he do if ya made noise?"

Eli keeps looking straight ahead as he holds the reins tightly. "I got a spankin' when I got home..."

Rosie gasps as she shakes her head sadly. "That's not nice!" She taps him soothingly on the shoulder as she clicks her tongue. "I'm so sorry, Mr. Eli."

He remains silent, but his face looks softer than it did. Could he actually like her, Lord? Even if he always hates me, please let him grow to love these children

~*~

We get to church and when I go to climb down, Theo is helping Rosie—and Eli...Well, he's pretending not to notice me.

Ezra rushes over as I'm about to climb down myself, and offers his hand.

"Thank you," I say softly.

Ezra dips his hat at me as he watches Eli, and Micah squeezes his shoulder. "That was right good of ya, Ez. Thank ya."