Chapter 15: Little Helper

Dianna was no longer a random stranger I just met, she was the one I wanted

Watching her sleep so peacefully was so soothing compared to my continuous worrying. After bathing together last night she fell asleep in my arms as soon as her head hit my chest. But her consent quivering and shaking in her sleep woke me up each time. It was to a point where I didn't go back to sleep and instead watched her like a hawk, making sure those sinister nightmares didn't wake her up too much.

Whatever she was dreaming about was clearly monstrous. I can tell It was tied to what happened yesterday but I wasn't going to push her on the topic.

Quietly and calmly, I unraveled her body with mines and slowly stepped back from the bed, making sure she was still asleep. On my way downstairs after brushing my teeth I notice flashing light reflected on the wall.

Taking a step closer, my attention went to an adorable little girl in a matching pink pajamas set, snuggled up on the couch with a stuffed animal on her lap. Leaning into the door frame, I was amazed once again at just how much Sapphire looked so much like her mother.

Same round and dimpled cheeks. Same bright smile and purest eyes.

"Hey Little Fire, what are you doing up, so early?"

She turns to look at me before running into my arms. "Sinny!"

"What are you watching?" I picked her up prior to asking.

"Princess Frog." She answers quickly. "Auntie was sleeping and I was so bored."

Chuckling I ask, "I was going to make your mommy something to eat, Do you want to help?" She nodded happily.

It was really pleasurable and entertaining to spend my morning with her and make breakfast. Luckily Sapphire chose something I just so happen to be a pro at, french toast. Well to be more specific, cinnamony, swirly, toast with bananas on top, as Little Fire calls it. For a 6 year old, she is quite funny. Everything Sapphires says is filled with so much personality and sass, another way she reminds me of her mother.

After getting a text from Dianna asking me where I was, me and Sapphire headed back upstairs with a tray of food and the leftovers in the microwave.

Knocking on the door before walking in, Sapphire jumped on the bed into her mother's arms, making an announcement. "Mommy look, look we made you breakfast. Sinny was my little helper."

"I can, in fact admit she did most of the work." I laugh before sitting the tray on the nightstand.

Dianna kissed Sapphire's face all around, "Thank you Saph, that is so nice of you." Turning her attention on to me, "And thank you too, Freckles."

Nodding before saying, "We have cinnamony, swirly, toast with bananas on top. Strawberry slices to the side, some bacon and apple juice. I still don't understand why there's literally no orange juice in sight, downstairs."

"Oh we're definitely apple juice fans over here. Isn't that right Saph?"

Sapphire shrugs, "Mommy says it's good for energy, but I like both." We laugh as she takes a big gulp from the drink.

****

After breakfast, 7 o'clock came faster than I initially expected. Quickly showering together and getting dressed, we made our way to the car.

Opening the car door for her, she stops before getting in and places her hand on my shoulder. "Hey, thanks for staying with me tonight. I know you had a lot of things to do, especially last night."

She is so beautiful. The way her eyes are so wide and innocent as she looks up at me, makes me want to carry her back into that house. But instead I cup the side of her face and say, "Angel, you have no idea how much I would drop anything to be with you every night. So staying with you last night meant more to me, then you'll ever know." My thumb stops rubbing her cheek when I kiss her forehead.

She rolls her eyes. "Here you go again with the sweet talking. Do you know what time it is? We're going to be late." She gets in the car.

After shutting the door behind me I remind her, "Sweetheart, I already told you this. we're late only if I say we're late."

The drive back to my house was so peaceful and funny. Dianna teased me about my cockingness and teased her about her snoring. But eventually we made it to my house, where my own mother walked past me and greeted Dianna first.

Hugging her tightly, my mother floods her with questions. "Dianna, Sweetie, how are you? How are the girls?"

"We're great actually. How are you?" Dianna smiles kindly.

"I'm amazing, I just made some empanadas not too long ago. Are you hungry? Did you eat?"

Responding to her questions myself, I say, "We had breakfast this morning Ma. I cooked."

"You cooked? You, Sin Ezra Hanyes, my eldest son, the child I gave birth to who was 8.7 pounds at 10:35 in the morning, cooked?" My mom questioned like it was the biggest shock in her life as Dianna laughed beside her.

"I'm not a child, I know how to cook, kinda. But Sapphire did do most of the work." I admit.

"Of course she did. At least you didn't burn the house down." She pats my cheek after kissing it. "Mostly everyone has arrived though. You should head down, but Dianna, please give the girls my regards."

"Of course." Dianna replied before my mother smiles and walks off.

"You ready Angel?"

"Depends." She faces me, looking up at me in the eyes.

"I'm listening?"

"If we have time for a tour of your room." She says with a seductive smirk.

"Don't do that." I quickly respond, knowing exactly what she's trying to do.

"What? I just realized I have never seen your room before."

Taking a hold of her hips I pull her close so she can feel every part of me. "Angel, you're playing with fire."

"Am I?" She pulls her eyes from mine and lands them on my lips.

"You know all I need is 5 minutes, right? Keep testing me and you won't want to walk for the rest of the day." I warned her in a whisper.

"Don't threaten me with a good time, Mr. Haynes."

My eyebrows rise, "All you have to do is say the word."

Taking a step back, she frees herself from my lustful hold. "Actually, no. I'm ready."

"W-what?" I asked confused and dwelling in my own stiffness.

Already walking away she says, "Let's go, Mr. I'm never late."

"Oh, you're evil." I remarked, before catching up to her.