24, Short Notice

TWENTY-FOUR: Short Notice

Problems that try to succumb me
Living life comes with so much issues
Issues that are chasing me
Yet the issue is in the seat next to me
Invading my privacy

NARRATOR

GRADUATION COUNTDOWN: 76 DAYS

Cheyenne always thought running away from her issues was the best solution. Later in life she'll find out that that isn't always the answer.

As the school day continued, she skipped both of the previous classes with the boy yet she still felt like there was something approaching. It made her skin crawl and her stomach do flips and still her heart felt torn apart but stuck together in her rib cage.

The best way to describe a pain like hers would be her heart attached to a bike. But the bike keeps going despite her heart being dragged across the ground as it did whatever it pleased. It caused her great pain not knowing what Austin actually thought about her and she was too ashamed to ask.

She felt like she did the worst thing anyone could ever do.

She slept with him and she wasn't even his girlfriend he owed her no commitment.

Since the other night Cheyenne was never fully there in conversations since something was always in the back of her mind. It happened on Sunday, and it was only monday. The one person she told was no longer there to support her and she was left to her thoughts.

Her phone kept ringing in her pocket, some messages were from others but a majority were from the one person she wanted to hear from dearly, yet she didn't have the courage to reply too.

Almost naturally she put her phone on silent as she walked down the halls quietly frowning deeply, unable to process her emotions as she was walking to her next class.

"Cheyenne is that you?" A familiar voice came from behind her just as she was walking to her class down the hall. Slightly annoyed she turned so she could get a look at the person. Aaron from the other night.

"Hi, Aaron." Cheyenne gave him a small smile. As she got to know Aaron over the weeks his demeanor started to change to her. He was a very nice guy and did not deserve her attitude at the moment.

"You look just as beautiful as you did the other day!" Aaron exclaimed with a bright grin on his face. His ginger hair is freshly cut yet still reasonably long. It was a beautiful contrast to his white teeth.

"Thank you but I'm sure your girlfriend wouldn't appreciate that." A difference in Cheyenne's voice was bitter, not in the mood to deal with men for today.

"Girlfriend? We only went together because we didn't have dates" Aarons chuckle was smooth like he didn't have anything to worry about.

Cheyenne frowned at his response that's probably the only reason why Austin accepted her invitation. "Yeah, me and Austin did the same thing."  She replied. Aaron's smile and laugh caused her to forget the very reason she was upset.

"How about today after school we can forget about all our responsibilities and do something spontaneous?" Aaron said in his thick country accent once again. He even planned everything perfectly hoping she would only say yes.

After seeing his carefree attitude it brought her back to life and dropped her attitude almost entirely. "I don't think I can, I'm takin' a shift at my job today." Cheyenne's smile was slowly wiped off her face to Aaron's dismay.

"Well I mean what time does the shift start? I'll do anything to make it even if your workin' I don't mind not one bit." Aaron moved up closer but not to invade her space.

"I work at the IHOP, and I'm only gonna be cleanin' today since I have an afternoon shift at 4:30." Cheyenne smiled, noticing how he had gotten close.

"I guess I'll see you there cleanin' at 4:30?" Aaron's smile never left as he looked into her eyes. 'Mhm' was all Cheyenne said as she started to go to the class as there was only a minute left before the bell.

She sat in one of the seats in the last row as the class quietly started to fill up the sound of chairs moving, paper shuffling, and chalk moving across the board gave a comforting environment as she started to prepare for class zoning out in the process.

The bell rang and the class started, her teacher started checking in the homework before she heard a familiar voice at her very side, greeting someone in the distance. Austin sat at an empty desk right next to her.

Cheyenne was new with this feeling, of being so angry out of love for an individual. She thought the first time seeing Austin after that night would be filled with tears yet it was different. A reaction none of the pair was expecting even though they both had no expectations of what could happen.

She was mad at him for forcing himself in her space when she obviously needed time to process even though she never communicated.

The teacher started speaking but everything that they said was not her main focus. "You came here on such short notice," Cheyenne said with underlying resentment that left Austin with confusion.

"No, I just texted you," Austin spoke with his eyebrows almost touching. "No way! Are you mad at me right now?" Austin exclaimed loud enough for the teacher to stop talking.

"Is there an issue, Mr. Channing?" The teacher asked to withdraw the glasses from her pale face. Austin was growing slightly more enraged, nearly like how he felt in the morning. "Not at all." Austin let the teacher resume before starting back with Cheyenne.

"It's your first day in this class. I assume you would pay attention to the lesson." Cheyenne rolled her eyes with her pencil in hand trying not to address the problem sitting next to her.

"Why did you leave me?" Austin questioned. Her leaving him the next before made him feel like she couldn't give two fucks about him.

"I mean we aren't together, right? I guess you never wanted to be anyway." Cheyenne had a shift in her voice like it was a soft spot for her, something she didn't want to talk about.

"Why would you say that?" Austin pressed. Cheyenne didn't speak as the lesson continued. She didn't want to talk to him. What part of it did he not get?

As the class started to end and the students started to pack up Cheyenne muttered something under her breath as she walked past Austin that left a mark for the rest of the day.