Chapter 10

Kemi

“We'll be discharging you today. How are you feeling?” 

The sound of velcro pulling apart goes through my small room as a blood pressure cuff that was placed on my arm is removed.

How am I feeling?

“Okay,” I respond. In all honesty, the more time I've had to digest what happened, the more I feel inner turmoil.

“You'll be able to leave today. Do you have a place to go?” It’s been two days. I stare at my bed sheets as my nurse, Alaina, checks my vitals one last time. She's been a sweetheart, but I'm just not in the right headspace to return the same warmth she's showing me. But she graciously understands that. 

There have been multiple nurses, and a few doctors, since my first day here and they've all been cordial. I've just been trying to go with everything that's happening. Now that it's the day to leave, I'm struggling, but I keep that to myself. I'm just not sure where to go and what to do. I mean I know…but I just feel out of it and that has my brain scrambled and my emotions going south.

“Yes,” I answer, regardless. Alaina nods, taking my word for it. I almost wish she'd probe, but I'm also too exhausted to answer further questions. 

The last few things are done and I'm ready to go, with a change of clothes Grace brought in for me yesterday. For a quick second, I wonder if I should call her, but she has so much going on in her own life that I can't bear to bother her. Her stopping by several times during my stay here was already more than enough. I need a ride home, but I'll find a way back. 

My mind remembers the scene I left behind and I drift off as I think about the clean up process I'll have to do once I get back. 

A knock at my door interrupts my thoughts.

“Come in,” I call and it opens and relief floods through me. 

It's strange how life works.

In walks Fred, concern on his face as he looks at me before shutting the door. I stare at him, silent. He stares back before approaching, his eyes scanning me, taking in the slowly fading bruises and my dressed state.

“They're discharging you today?”

“Yes.”

He nods, stopping in front of me. I never told anyone when I was getting discharged; I didn't know it myself until just a few hours ago. Yet, here he is, as if he somehow knew the perfect time to come. He's out of uniform so it must be his day off. 

“How are you getting home?” It's a simple question, but it unravels everything inside of me and my eyes water. Out of everyone, he's the one that gently probes. He somehow does it in a way that's warm and not overbearing.

“I don't know,” I admit and he steps closer.

“I'll drive you.” It's not an offer. It's not a question. He's just letting me know that he will. His expression may seem brooding with his scowl, but I know how kind he is. “But you can’t go back home right now, there’s still rounding up things with their investigation. How about you stay with Grace for a little while? Her, Joe, and I were planning on cleaning up your home once they’re done.” 

The things I thought about, they were already on it. I'm grateful. 

I just nod. 

Fred stares down at me for a while and my mind goes back to that day he gave me a hug. It's not terribly important right now, with everything going on, but I just remember how good it felt. 

“Can I give you a hug?” 

My heart jumps at his question with more delight than I think it should. I didn't realize I liked it to such a degree. I nod a bit hesitantly.

This time, Fred doesn't approach me. He reaches out a hand, giving me the choice to take it. I do, without hesitation, and he draws me to him, engulfing me in an embrace that does more than he'll ever know. 

“Things will get better,” he says and although I can't imagine the other side of the tunnel, I believe him. There's nothing in me that doubts him and his words.