Chapter 13

Fred

Time might not be the thing that heals, but it is something that allows for change.

"How's he doing?" I ask. Kemi smiles sweetly, holding her baby boy up for me to see as she sits on her couch. He's a month and a half old now. I squat down and get a good look at him. By God's grace, he looks like his mom. I wouldn't want her having reminders of his father.

I just got done with work, but I swing by her place every now and then just to check up on her and her son. It's a miracle he's alive. She wasn't far along in her pregnancy when...when that happened.

Her bruised body comes back to mind. I know for a fact her ex-husband would have killed her. If we arrived any later-I blink, not wanting to think about that. And to think she had been protecting her baby during the beating is beyond me. Even while she almost died, her concern was still for her child first and foremost. The scumbag even raped her and she still protected her baby.

I watch as Kemi cuddles her boy. His name is Tèmídayọ̀, or Dayo for short. The full name means mine has become joy. Kemi is Nigerian and she's from a tribe called the Yoruba tribe. The name she gave her son is a Yoruba one and it's deep. The unfortunate events she's gone through have turned into joy. I let out a breath and look away as tears spring up in my eyes. I can't say that I'm one to cry, but this definitely does it.

"Thank you, again, for always stopping by, Fred." She places a hand on my arm, drawing my eyes back to her.

"You've thanked me a thousand times, Kemi," I say, my tone gruff, but even still I'm sweet on her and she knows it.

"A thousand and one still isn't enough. I appreciate you." I nod wordlessly, avoiding looking into those warm eyes of hers that will pull me in and have me staying longer than I should. I should leave before that happens. I stand abruptly.

"I ought to get going." I was around the area and just dropped in quickly. She stands as well and then glances at her son before carefully holding him out to me. My brows rise.

"Huh?"

"You haven't held him yet," her soft voice says, as gentle as can be. "Come on," she urges. Her baby coos as if urging me as well.

"Hold on a second, you're thinking too highly of me, little lady. I haven't held babies since Grace's twins. They're teenagers now." She only laughs, but doesn't relent. There's not a lot of things that make me nervous, but this sure as heck is one of them. I almost get to sweating.

"You're okay, Fred. Here." She holds her baby with one arm to her chest, causing my brows to raise.

"Is that safe?"

"I've got him. I've taken care of many babies before." She uses her free hand to situate my arms and then passes her baby along to me.

"Woah, hey, hold on a...oh dang." He's so light. I blink down at him, amazed by his tiny body. He's a little human. My heart melts.

"You're doing well." She comes over to my side, standing close as she looks over, her hands on my arm and a smile on her face. Kemi glows and I feel my heart smile. It's nice seeing her like this. She reaches out a hand as he stretches in his sleep, grunting once as his hands fly up. She catches his open hand and he latches onto her finger.

"I'm proud of you, Kemi."

She blinks up at me and gets this look on her face. "Proud of me?" I stare at her for a while, forgetting for a moment she even asked a question.

"Yes." Silence passes between us as she stares at me before she looks away, shaking her head slightly. "I'm just taking things one day at a time."

"You're doing well."

"I thank God for that; He's the One helping me after all." Her eyes make their way back to me, stirring things up within me as her expression softens. "And I thank you too. I feel like I owe you." I frown.

"Kemi, you being alive is more than enough for me. I trust you'll raise your son up to be a great man of God. You're a great woman, after all." I cradle her baby to my chest with an arm like she had and place a hand behind her head tenderly, kissing the top of it. I'm proud she's pushed forward, growing and healing so much despite her unfortunate circumstances. Things can still be rough, but Kemi is holding onto the Lord and He's sustaining her. I admire her handsome baby boy and kiss his head as well before handing him back.

"I have to go, but I'll stop by on a different day. God bless you and Dayo. Call me if you need anything," I give her a parting side hug and head to the door, my hand on the knob before realizing what I did. I spin back around and catch her dazed expression as she looks at me.

"Sorry about that." My cheeks heat up. "I was just caught up in the emotions." She continues gazing at me before laughing lightly.

"You're fine, Fred." My mind thinks back to that day and worry goes through me.

"I wouldn't be trying to do anything, Kemi, honestly—"

"Fred." I stop. "You're fine. I know that's not what you're doing. It was just a kiss on the head. That's alright." I nod, but feel my cheeks redden further. I excuse myself and shut the door behind me. I stand against it for a while and let out a breath.

I like Kemi. I'm realizing this belatedly, but I know it happened somewhere along the way. Despite my own feelings towards her, I would never make a move unless she showed some kind of interest. I wouldn't want to anyways because I don't want it to seem like I'm taking advantage of the situation.