Chapter 23

Fred

I blink as the book I was reading to Dayo is suddenly lifted from my face. How'd that even get there?

Kemi stands above me, amusement having the corners of her mouth curl up as she holds it.

"You must have enjoyed your reading time," she says and I chuckle sheepishly. I glance down to see our little boy splayed out, his face digging into my side as he lays fast asleep. I glance around to find myself in his small twin-sized body. I'm taking up basically all the space. "I was wondering why it took you so long."

"The story went on for a little longer tonight," I say.

"I can tell," she says and we share a smile. I gently shift our toddler as I get up. Thankfully, Dayo can sleep through just about anything so he doesn't wake up. I tuck him in and we leave his room, leaving the door a bit ajar. Kemi catches my sleeve and guides me to our room, walking backwards.

"Why aren't you asleep yet, darlin'?"

"I was waiting for you," she simply says.

"Waiting for me?"

"Yes," she smiles but hesitates a bit. "I had an idea when you were at work earlier but then you were with Dayo for some time. Anyways, I was waiting so I could give you a massage." My brows raise at that.

"A massage?" I ask around a yawn as we enter our room. I shut the door most of the way, but not completely. I like to be able to hear if Dayo needs us for anything.

"Yes." She lets go of my sleeve and holds one of my hands in both of hers.

I shake my head. "No need for that, Kemi, I can fall asleep on my feet right now."

Kemi frowns. "It's not so you can fall asleep, Fred. I know how hard you work and I want to do this for you." I shake my head.

"I don't need that. You don't need to go staying up just for that, Kemi," I yawn again and head towards the bed, ready to bring her with me, but she doesn't budge. I stop and look back at her.

"Let me give you one," she gently urges, looking up at me with those beautiful eyes of hers. We haven't been married long, just seven months now, but I'm realizing I'm weak in one area and that's accepting things. Whether that's help or just thoughtful, selfless things she does, I have some trouble saying yes. Having been alone for decades I'm used to doing things myself. To have a life partner again...it's getting me to realize I can do with saying yes more.

I brush the back of my hand along her cheek and smile.

"Alright, I'll take this massage of yours." Kemi just about glows at my words and I get joy from that alone. I'll do better in accepting her sweet gestures more readily.

Next thing I know she's got me face down as her small hands knead into my back.

"Your hands–mercy," I say in satisfaction.

She stops abruptly and I lift my head, wondering why.

"Am I too rough? I'm sorry, I've never done this before so—"

"Your hands can put any masseuse out of business, Kemi," I finish and she gives a soft "oh" before letting out a cute laugh. I smile at that. I don't know much about massages so I don't know if she'd be the world's greatest or anything like that. But one thing I do know is my darling's hands feel like a blessing.

A blessing I never knew I needed.

I get to feeling sentimental and I try to peer back to look at her, but I can't.

"I'd like to turn over, Kemi."

She laughs. "Do you want me to massage your chest as well?"

"No...I just want to see you, darlin'." There's silence for a while and then she moves off. I was originally planning to just lay on my back and watch her, but once I sit up and look at her my mind changes.

Kemi gives me that look I've come to be familiar with. It's one where emotions are just filling up within her and all she can do is look at me the way she is now.

I move closer, an arm going to her side as I lean in and give the corners of her mouth a kiss.

I move to her neck and lay kisses there. Her breath catches and she takes hold of my arm.

"You've got me absolutely enamored by you, Kemi." I kiss her jaw and I can't help myself as I pepper her neck with more kisses. She allows me, turning her neck to give me more access.

"Fred?" her voice is airy.

"Yes ma'am."

"...Are you still tired?" her other hand goes to my chest and I pause in my actions, pulling back a bit. She turns her face towards me and she has that same expression mixed with another look I'm familiar with. If I was wearing a shirt I know she'd be tugging on it by now.

"No," I say. She doesn't waste a second as she stretches up, her mouth meeting mine. I encourage her, bringing her to me.

She lets me know later that those words are ones she's never heard before. Just a simple "I just want to see you" made her feel so loved and she wasn't quite sure what to do with herself.

I make a note to keep telling her these simple things. Apart from God Almighty, I'll be the first, and only, one to love her the way she needs to be loved.