Chapter 19

Fred

"I see how you felt on your wedding day," I tell Joe as he helps me get ready. It's been one month since our first date. I'm actually happy that he and Grace did what they did, otherwise I wouldn't be able to be with Kemi like I will be in less than half an hour.

Mercy. Our new life begins in less than thirty minutes.

My actions pause as I fix the sleeves of my shirt.

"How'd I get this blessed, Joe?"

The other man stops at my question and it also causes our two friends in the room to come over.

"Fred," he starts, never seeing me like this. I don't usually get sentimental, but when it comes to Kemi and her son...our son-mercy, my eyes mist up. I'll be a father to him, and not just a father figure; what a blessing. When it comes to these two, it's like they have my heart. I'd do so much for them. So much.

I turn away as tears fall, holding a hand up as I cry with my back to them.

I love these two so much and my heart can't seem to handle the fact that we'll be a family. I can't say I've done anything to deserve them.

I feel a hand on my back as I sob.

"It's the Lord's grace on your life, Fred. That's just it." Joe is right. It's by His grace alone that we can be together. I'm thankful for that.

It takes a while, but I finally get myself calmed down. I spend the rest of the time by myself, just wanting to give my thanks to the Lord before the ceremony begins. Before we head into the sanctuary, the men pray for me and that has me tearing up again, but I don't cry.

But I sure do cry once Kemi steps into view. At this point, we're all lined up. Joe and the guys are behind me while Grace and their other two friends are behind her.

I hold myself together as Kemi takes her first steps down the aisle, looking beautiful in a long white dress. I couldn't describe it to save anyone's life, but it's a pretty number. I guess the reason why I can't describe it is because my eyes don't leave her face. She smiles as she makes her way down the aisle.

I let out a breath and try to grit my teeth as I wait. To anyone else, besides those who know me well, I probably look angry, but I'm not. I'm just trying to steel myself. I swallow, finding the task difficult. Kemi's eyes never leave mine. Her smile is tender and she has an expression similar to the one I saw on her face when I first told her I loved her. It's not the same per say, but it's this look of being surprised.

She's had that look for the past month. I remember asking her about it two weeks into our three week engagement and she laughed, her eyes shining as she said she just felt so thankful for me. I was taken aback as I was thankful for her and her baby boy.

I let out another breath, my hands folded together at my front.

I'm gonna cry again. Without a doubt.

Kemi makes it midway down the aisle before my first tear falls. I quickly turn before more follow. Joe pats my back and I try to keep it together. I feel another hand join and I notice it's smaller than Joe's. I look back to see her standing there with the warmest smile, tears in her own eyes.

"Fred," is all she says and we stare at one another before I take her up in my arms, just wanting to have her there.

I love her.

The ceremony starts and Dayo comes running down the aisle with fake rings, causing everyone to laugh as he rushes towards the both of us. He goes to his mother first, giving her a hug, but then steps out of her embrace to step towards me. Dayo jumps up, our little routine as he knows I'll catch him. I grin, kissing his cheek as he holds on, smiling wide. I'll always catch him.