eight

The smell of pancakes cooking on the stove and the coffee wafting from the pot put a smile on Ambrose's face as she danced around the kitchen. She felt so much lighter these days. Happier. Everything was going right. She had her dad, she had Jason. That was all she needed. She was a simple girl, what more could she want.

"You're happier than usual," Seth observed as he drank his coffee and flipped the page of documents he was reading.

"Yep. Oh, I wanted to ask if you wanted to meet Jason today."

"You mean that boy you're always talking about?"

Ambrose plated a few pancakes and slid them on the table for him, "Yeah. He knows about me, you know? What I do. And we've been dating...I think. I mean, I'm like...98 percent sure. So, I thought you might want to meet him."

"He knows about Ghost?" that got Seth's attention, "Did you tell him?"

"No, he found out," Ambrose said vaguely.

Ambrose wasn't about to expose Jason as Robin. Not even to her dad, who she loved and trusted more than anything. It wasn't her place to be doing that.

Seth closed the file he was looking at, "Amber, that's dangerous territory. How do you know he won't say anything?"

"Believe me, Dad, I know. I can't tell you why I'm so sure, but you're just gonna have to trust me. Now, is that a yay or a nay?"

"Fine, I'll meet your boyfriend."

"Good...because he's already on his way," Ambrose grinned slyly.

Seth sighed, "Of course he is."

"Best behavior. I happen to like him very much. And he doesn't scare easy, so don't try that whole 'Dad' thing where you try to intimidate him, because it won't work," Ambrose said.

"You'd get to him before I could anyway."

There was a light knock on the door in the next moment that had Seth scowling and Ambrose bolting over with excitement. It would make her even happier if her dad liked Jason too, though that may be too much to ask for. Jason could be a bit forward.

Ambrose opened up the door and greeted Jason with a quick hug before pulling him inside, "Jason, Seth. Father Seth, Jason."

Seth just glanced at him, "The boy my daughter's '98 percent' dating."

"Uh...yes?" Jason leaned close to Ambrose to whisper, "98 percent?"

"We are dating, right?"

"Yeah, what did you think we were doing?" Jason looked at her like she was crazy.

Ambrose put her hands up, "Just had to be sure. We never talked about it."

"Did she tell you about this last minute too?" Seth asked.

Jason took a seat at the table, "Pretty much. An hour ago."

Seth shook his head, "Of course. She does that often. Gets too anxious so she'll spring it on you last minute so no one has a chance to change their mind. I'll bet you she didn't even think this up until this morning."

Ambrose sat in her own seat, "That would be correct. But don't worry! I'm not holding everyone hostage here for long. You've got work to do, we've got training to get to."

"Right..."

Ambrose just looked at the two excitedly while they settled into an awkward silence. They would look at each other, then away. Everyone was uncomfortable except Ambrose.