2. Dear God, why?

Virat Singh Ahuja, the heir to the Ahuja Industries and the CEO of their latest venture, Ahuja Realtors was in a foul mood. Ahuja Realtors had taken over another big shot real state company and it was his responsibility to head it. It was the first day after the take over that he would visit that office and meet the staff there. He had already done the in depth analysis of the company and chalked out the changes he wanted to implement. He has planned to appoint new heads of all departments. He had already selected the employees who would take over the top positions in their department, he just had to meet them once before announcing the promotion. It was a new venture for Virat and he was determined to make it a huge success. He was pretty excited & happy to start working with the newly acquired company. But, alas! he had a verbal spat witha starnegr right in the morning and it dampened his mood. 

Trying to let go of his annoyance, he drove towards the hotel his family was staying in currently, as the penthouse they had purchased was not yet ready to shift in. They had shifted from Banglore to Delhi just 4 days ago and were staying in a five-star hotel since then, waiting for the penthouse to be ready. He wanted to go to office early but he had to pick up his father from the hotel first. Upon reaching the hotel, Virat & his father had a full breakfast in the hotel dining area & headed for the office. Virat had successfully blocked out the morning's altercation from his mind & was ready to take on his new responsibilities. 

When they reached the office, they received a warm welcome from the ex-director of the company. It was his last day with the newly acquired firm and he had to hand over everything to Virat. All the office staff were present for the welcome ceremony. Virat was actually quite impressed by how well the welcome event was organized. Everything had been meticulously planned & executed. After the welcome ceremony, Virat was ushered to the cabin of the CEO, his cabin. One of the first things he had planned for the day was to have discussions on the future prospects with each employee he had selected to be the department heads. He just wanted to have a face-to-face conversation with them before making the official announcement. The four employees were to come in one by one and not together. The discussions went well & Virat knew he had selected the right employees. There was just one employee left, the one from the Finance department, Ms Amruta Chitnis. Virat was busy on his system when the door was knocked. He asked Ms Chitnis to come & without looking up from his system asked her to take a seat. After almost a minute, he realized that no body sat on the chair opposite to it. He looked up from his system with an enquiring look only to be met with  shocked, confused eyes. 

"What the hell are you doing here? Are you following me?", he yelled at the girl he had a spat with earlier that morning. Before she could  say anything he yelled again, "Listen you will regret doing this. Let me call security. They will teach you not to stalk people." Saying that he picked up the intercom and pressed 9 for dialing security. But the receiver was pulled away from his hands and slammed down cutting the line. 

Amruta: "Will you please let me speak before you accuse me of being a stalker?" 

Virat: "Sure, let's see what the criminal has to say!"

Amruta: " Don't you dare call me that. I work here. My name is Amruta Chitnis and I was told you called for me. "

Virat: "Please tell me you are lying. I dont want a Ladaku Viman in this office."

Amruta: "I am the Ladaku Viman? You are the one who started shouting on the auto driver. By the way, I am also not happy about working for you. I don't like taking orders from arrogant people like you. Anyways, can we just forget it and behave like adults and discuss what you called me here for."

Virat: "Sure. Let's be professional. Well, I just wanted to ask a few questions to see if you are suitable to lead the finance team here. Let's start then. " 

Amruta did not say anything, just nodded. 

"So, Miss Amrita, tell me-"  

"It is Amruta, not Amrita. It should not be that difficult to pronounce for someone so well read like you", she taunted

"It is all the same to me" Virat said with a huff. " Anyways, tell me who is the Finance Minister of Japan?" 

Amruta was puzzled at the question. Why would this be relevant to her work? She asked, " I am sorry, what kind of a question is this? I am an expert in Finance, not Current Affairs." 

Virat gave her a crooked smile and said, "Well that's all I need to know. You may go now"

"But-" 

"No buts, please leave." 

Amruta did not want to argue further. He was her boss afterall and she needed to remember that. She got up and left. She knew she deserved this position & not knowing a current affairs answer was not going to change that. 

Virat saw her leave & recalled the incident in the morning and then just a few minutes back. She talked back to him & taunted him!  "There is no way I will make her the head of her department. Talking to me like that. She should learn to respect her boss". With that he removed her name from the head of departments list & added the name of the  senior most member of the department. A small part of him knew that it was wrong but he dismissed that part. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi!! Thank you so much for giving this story a chance. I am trying this for the first time & would love to know hear your suggestions.