15. A Loophole

Virat's P.O.V

Ever since I woke up today, I have been feeling extremely anxious and restless. Why would not I be? Guruji was supposed to arrive any minute now. His decision will seal my fate, like literally. I would make one last try today to persuade him to tell us an alternative. Anything but marriage. On top of everything, last night's dream refused to leave my mind too. It was so weird that I dreamt that Guruji selected Amruta for me and then not to mention, her trying to kill me. Knowing that woman, she would gladly do it, if need be. 

"Welcome Guruji", I head my Bebe say.

I turned to see him walk inside the living room. 

"Oh Boy", I thought. My hands started to shake a little. It was like I had no control over my body. I saw him sit down and talk to my mother. After a good few minutes, I finally managed to control my emotions. 

"Guruji, I request you to suggest any other solution. This is not possible. Marriages like this can never work. Both people involved will suffer."

"Beta Virat, I understand your concern. I know how absurd all this is. Trust me, had I seen any other way, I would never suggest such a major step. Because of your insistence, I will check once more to see if there is any other way out."

"Thank you so much", I said folding my hands. 

We all waited in silence while he checked my horoscope again. Finally after what felt like hours, he kept the horoscope asisde and looked at us, "Marriage is inevitable if we want to save Virat."

I felt my heart sink to my feet. For a few minutes there, I had convinced myself that he would think of something else. I was sure there was a way. But no, I had to accept the life changing decision. 

"But there is one loophole. The marriage needs to sustain for 5 months only. The couple needs to stay together for 5 months, then can seperate if they so desire."

I saw a ray of hope. I could do 5 months. That was easily manageable. I found myself feeling relaxed again. But that did not last long. My mother asked, "But, who would give their daugther for marriage for 5 months?"

"That's correct. And there are so many girls who would love to marry him. But because they actually want to spend their life with him. Not just 5 months."

"We will handle all that! This is a good thing. We will manage something", I said before everyone would shoot down this idea.  I could see why it was more difficult now but for me, it was a huge relief. I would not have to actually go and spend my entire life with someone who was a complete stranger. I meant this was not even your regular arranged marriage that happens now. This was like an arrange marriage set up from decades ago. Being brought up in such a broad minded family, it made it more difficult to accept a marriage like that. 

Now, Guruji started to check all the horoscopes. He was busy in that for over an hour as there were many. 

"Out of the all horoscopes, the one that is most suitable is of Ashwita. Although, I can tell this is not the perfect choice. There is still someone out there whose stars align perfectly with Virat's."

Well, if I had to stay for 5 months with one of these ladies, Stuti would be my choice too. She is the only one among those who was not a total stranger. I was not completely repulsed with the idea of marrying her for 5 months. 

"Should we wait for a few more days?", my mother asked him.

"We can but it's better to go through with the marriage in the next 3-4 days. Let's see for one more day. Rest is all upto God"