11. He's not that bad

Amruta's P.O.V.

God knows what the problem was. I was unable to find an auto after home. I left the office quite late already and now I had been waiting for over 15 minutes for an auto with no luck. Usually, I get one within 5 minutes. It was close to 8 pm and I was getting very worried. Just then, Singhdana stopped his car and signalled me to sit inside. I really wanted to. Had I not accused him of a disgusting act earlier that day, I would have jumped at his offer. I really just wanted to get home. But, I could not even look him in the eyes right now. I was very embarrassed because of what I had said to him. I could not be in  car with him for  that much time. Against every fiber in my body, I politely declined his offer. He did not ask again and simply drove away. What a jerk! He could have asked atleast one more time. He did not care about anyone but himself. 

I was busy cursing him in my mind when I saw him pull over his car beside me again. He must taken a U-turn and returned. Before I could think anything, he got out and walked towards me hastily, taking long strides. Within seconds, he towered over me. 

"Get inside the car, banker.", he said firmly

"wh-wh-why? I d-don't wan't to. Thanks.", I muttered with as much courage as I could, still trying to avoid his piercing gaze. 

"Do not irritate me Banker. You have already done enough for the day. Don't you think so?"

I did not have an answer. I just stared at the ground and waited for him to go away.

"Don't make me force you. Trust me, I will, if you don't listen to me , he seemed very serious

"What?? Force me?"

"Oh, now I got it. You won't sit with me in the car because you think I am a predator who uses his position to prey on women. Please don't take the word "force" out of context", Virat sir said with his eyes boring holes in me. 

"No No, sir. It is not like that. I just- I can't-you know I- um, I'll just sit.", I blabbed and sat inside. I did not want him to think I felt unsafe with him. It was not the case. 

The car ride was silent and uncomfortable. I could feel his temper radiating off of him. I was too embarrassed to say anything. I had really screwed up. Throughout the ride, I stole a few glances at him and saw the same clenched jaw and furrowed eyebrows indicating his displeasure. 

I was so relieved when we reached and I got out of the car. He started to walk away quickly. I did not even realise when I blurted out, "Sir, Virat Sir!" . I was sure he heard me but kept on walking in the direction of his block. I was not about to let him ignore me. I ran after him. 

"Sir, Please listen to me na"

He stopped, shook his head and turned towards me. He did not say anything but his intense eyes demanded me to say something. 

"I just- I wanted-I'm-I am sorry! I am very sorry for what I said earlier. I know how wrong it was of me. You know, my maa always says that I speak without thinking. I guess she is correct. I don't know how I jump to stupid conclusions and-", I was babbling at that point and Virat sir cut me off in between.

"Ok, Okayy!! Stop talking please. I forgive you."

"Really? You do?", I asked as his expressions were still not very pleasing.

He thought for a while and finally broke into a little smile, "Yes, Ms Banker, I do." 

I felt relief wash over me. I really did not think he would let this go so easily. I knew exactly how awful my accusation was. But his smile seemed genuine so I believed he really did forgive me. "Thank you", I smiled at him. 

"Ammu!", I head my mother call me. I turned around and saw her walking towards me. She was carrying a bag of groceries in her hand. She must have gone shopping in the apartment's store as I was late today. 

"Beta, how did you get so late? You left office at around 7:30!", she asked me. 

"Aai,  I  was unable to find an auto today. Finally my boss gave me a lift.", I pointed towards him and said, "Aai, he was my boss, Virat Sir. I told you na he shifted in the new penhouse."

"Namaste Aunty ji.", Virat sir said. 

They talked for a couple minutes and my mother being  invited him home for tea. He politely declined saying he was already late and promised to come some other time. Once we were in our home my mother said in a very motherly tone, "Your boss is such sweet boy."

I rolled my eyes at her, " Aai, you don't know him yet. He is not sweet. He is a cheeky know-it-all snob!" A part of me was telling me that was not true and he was not that bad. But, I ignored it. I did not want my mother to be so impressed with him. She would start inviting him home everytime she saw him. We should stay as far as possible from that family. Our lives are worlds apart.

Virat's P.O.V

I was getting tired of seeing pictures of prospects everyday and it frustrated me that I was not able to get out this mess. I did not want to risk Mom's health at any cost. I knew if I became  adamant about not going through with this, she would get stressed. I just needed a break from reality for a few hours. I called Shekhi to plan a party in a club that very night. It was a working day tomorrow but who would say no to freeze booze? None of my friends! 

We reached the club STEREO at around 11 pm. Shekhar had called our other friends too and I had called just one, Stuti. In all we were expecting a group of 20 people. I was fully immersed in dancing and drinking with my friends, soaking in the feel of the club. I was away from all the problems and just having fun. I had not had a wild night like this in over 3 months and I intended to make full use of it.

Shekhar and I went to refill our drinks at the bar when someone tapped my shoulder and said hi. I looked around to see Stuti.