8 - Epiphany Rising 1354-1402

Epiphany Rising

The truth

Richard II became king of England in 1377, ruling for twenty two years until 1399, when he was deposed by his first cousin, Henry IV.

The events leading up to Richard's bloody deposition are largely lost to time. As winners always write the history books, Richard is primarily known as an incompetent villain.

On September 29, 1499, Richard will peaceably agree to give up his crown, and while in captivity sign away his right to be king, agreeing to over thirty charges of treason.

Most of these have been proven false.

In order to put Richard back on the throne and save his life, a few loyal followers will attempt to murder Henry IV and his sons on Christmas Day 1399.
This will be known as the Epiphany Rising.

Character List
Look, there's a lot of people here, and most of them have more than one name. I'm going to do my best to layer in slowly so that it all makes sense. But. Here's a reference guide sorted by loyalties, members deceased at the time of the rising will be marked as such.

Ricardians
Richard II of England: the son of Edward of Woodstock and Joan of Kent, his father was the crown prince of England but predeceased his grandfather, leaving Richard the crown. Richard is born 1367 and is 33 at the time of his deposition.

Anne of Bohemia: (deceased) Richard's wife, a princess of Bohemia. She and Richard are the same age, and get along rather well.

Isabela of Valois: second wife of Richard, she is six when they are married and nine when they deposed. It is a political marriage and she is in the care of Philippa de Coucy. Richard is kind to her.

Philippa de Coucy: Cousin to Richard, her mother is the sister of Edward of Woodstock, only one year younger than him, she is only four months younger than Richard and has known him all her life. Married to Robert de Vere. Niece of Edward, John, Edmund, and Thomas, they all care for her.

Robert de Vere (deceased) : Knight in service of Richard, Married to Philippa. Has few good attributes beyond loyalty to Richard. He dies in a hunting accident, he is unfaithful to Philippa and they have no children.

Roger of Clarendon: Richard's paternal half brother. Illegitimate, serving as a knight.

Edward of Woodstock (deceased): father of Richard and Roger, married to Joan of Kent. Known as the 'Black Prince' he is a famous soldier known for his chivalry and military cunning

Thomas Holland (deceased) Richard's maternal half brother, holds some land, loyal to Richard. Father of Tom Holland

Tom Holland: Son of Thomas Holland, Richard's paternal nephew

John Holland: Richard's maternal half brother. Ill tempered and impulsive. Married to Elizabeth of Lancaster, they have several children.

Joan of Kent (deceased): Mother of Richard, Thomas, and John. Known as the 'Fair Maid of Kent'.

Edmund Mortimer: Richard's heir presumptive, Richard has named him as his heir as is the closest male relative, albeit through the female line.

Simon Burley (deceased): Knight of Prince Edward's, loyal to Richard and serves as his sword master

Sir Thomas Blount: knight of Richard, loyal to Richard and acted as his manservant

Sir Bernard Brocas: knight of Richard, childhood friend as their fathers were friends, not active in court. Serves as Master of the Hounds