Chapter 79: The Sick and Weak School Flower (14)

Hanae stood backstage, carefully packing up after another successful performance. The applause from the concert still echoed in her ears, and the excitement from playing in such a prestigious venue lingered in her veins. The tour had been exhilarating but exhausting, and she was looking forward to a quiet evening back at her hotel.

As she was finishing up, one of her fellow musicians approached her with a mischievous smile. "Minazuki, someone's waiting for you outside."

Hanae blinked, confused. She wasn't expecting anyone. "Waiting for me?"

Her colleague nodded. "You'll see. He's been standing out there for a while. Very handsome!"

Curious, Hanae slung her handbag over her shoulder and made her way to the venue's exit. The evening air was cool against her skin, a welcome relief after the warmth of the performance hall. As she stepped out, her eyes fell upon a familiar figure standing near the entrance.

Doctor Iwamoto stood there, tall and poised, holding a bouquet of white lilies in his hand. He smiled softly when he saw her, his glasses reflecting the dim lights of the street. For a moment, Hanae was speechless, caught off guard by his presence.

"Iwamoto-sensei?" she said, her voice tinged with surprise. "What are you doing here?"

"I happened to be in the city for a conference," Doctor Iwamoto said, offering her the bouquet. "And I heard about your concert. I couldn't resist stopping by to hear you play."

Hanae accepted the flowers with a polite nod, her fingers brushing lightly over the delicate petals. "Thank you, that's... very thoughtful of you."

They stood in an awkward silence for a moment, the noise of the backstage bustling around them. Hanae was still processing this unexpected encounter. Usually, he would say hi and then walk away, but this time, it felt different. 

"I was wondering," Doctor Iwamoto began after a beat, "if you'd like to join me for dinner. I know this restaurant in town. The steak is great, but their canard l'orange is to die for."

[Note: Canard l'orange = Duck with Orange]

Hua hesitated, her mind racing. She appreciated the doctor's kindness to Hanae Minazuki, but there was something that still bothered her. Even though she knows that Doctor Iwamoto is not her husband and he knows nothing about her previous life, she still cannot separate Doctor Iwamoto from that guy. With that man—they shared a strange, undeniable connection—and this doctor also felt like that guy. Hua wasn't sure she was ready to experience that kind of feeling again or if she even wanted it.

"I... I'm really tired from the performance," Hua finally said, choosing her words carefully. "I'm sorry."

Doctor Iwamoto's face remained calm, though his smile faltered slightly. He quickly regained his composure, nodding in understanding. "Of course. I completely understand."

She still doesn't want to see him.

Even after all these years, no matter how good and nice he was to her, there was still a wall around her.

He understood. It was all his fault. It was him who needed to be more patient.

Seeing his expression, Hua felt a pang of guilt but was relieved that he wasn't pressing the matter. "Thank you for the flowers, though. They're beautiful."

"It's my pleasure," he said, his voice as gentle as ever. "If you ever need anything—anything at all, even just someone to talk to—you know how to reach me."

Hua smiled. "Thank you, Iwamoto-sensei. I appreciate it."

He gave her one last nod before stepping back, allowing her space to leave. It doesn't matter. In the place that she cannot see, he will still quietly guarding her.