Chapter 12

There were two gunshots. I was so sure that Devlin shot the man on top of me as I heard him scream in pain. Naramdaman ko pa ang paggalaw n'ya na parang namimilipit s'ya sa sakit and that made him lean his weight more on me. I whimpered in pain. Hindi ako makahinga dahil masyadong mabigat ang lalaki at naglulumikot pa dahil sa sakit. Narinig ko pa ang malulutong na mura ni Devlin before I heard another car's door open, and finally, the man's weight got lifted off me.

"Don't open your eyes until I come back, Yelizaveta."

I nodded. I was scared shitless. I wanted to get out of here. But I did what Devlin said. He knew what exactly to do. And knowing that he was finally here to take care of things for me helped me to be at least not scared anymore. I trust him. He would get me out of here.

Nakarinig ulit ako ng pagsarado ng pinto. The inside of the car was so quiet, and I kind of had the feeling I was alone. Pero hindi pa rin ako gumalaw o bumangon man lang. I remained lying on the seat with my eyes closed.

The sounds from outside were muffled. But I think there is someone talking. Pero napalitan iyon ng sigaw. A scream of pain. And then there were thuds and grunts. A sob escaped from my lips, kaya itinakip ko ang mga kamay ko sa bibig ko.

I'm safe now. Devlin was just outside, taking care of those men. I knew he could do it. He's strong.

But, please... I want him to be safe too.

I didn't know how long those sounds went on until I heard gunshots again. Tahimik akong napaiyak nang wala na akong marinig pagkatapos noon.

What happened? Is Devlin okay? Please, let him be safe.

A moment after that, the car door opened again. Iyong sa may ulunan ko. I flinched, but I didn't move. I didn't want to move, thinking that it was Devlin who opened it.

There was silence before I heard movements. I felt a soft touch on my forehead, caressing gently down to my cheeks.

"Love..."

Mabilis akong napabangon nang marinig ang boses na 'yon. I saw Devlin crouching down kaya naman mabilis na nagtama ang paningin namin. And I wasn't prepared for the emotions I saw in his eyes.

I saw worry and relief in his eyes. I couldn't believe I would be able to see those emotions clearly on his face. He always had a stoic face on. Parang walang pakialam sa lahat as if he just wanted to do well with his job. But now, there were so many emotions showing on his face.

Even the gentleness that I saw in his eyes as he looked at me was nothing that I could compare to. I even started to doubt if the gentleness that Rio had shown me was true now that I was looking at Devlin. Kasi ibang-iba iyon sa ibinibigay sa akin ni Develin ngayon.

There was no doubt that this gentleness was true, as if his eyes were telling me that he really cared for me.

Naramdaman ko ang pagtutubig ng mga mata ko. Parang bigla ay gusto kong maiyak habang nakatitig sa kanya. I wanted to hug him. I was sure that I was safe now. And I felt so much relief knowing that he was safe too.

Pero nakita kong bumaba ang tingin n'ya sa kaliwang pisngi ko. The emotions I just saw quickly vanished from his face. Napalitan iyon ng matinding galit. He was expressing so much rage that it made me nervous. I started to wonder if what I saw earlier was real and if I wasn't just hallucinating, as his eyes looked very dark now. He even clenched his jaw hard. As if he was ready to kill anyone right now.

Why? Is he mad at me? Hindi ko alam kung anong gagawin ko kung galit nga s'ya sa 'kin. He just saved me, so I felt dependent on him. Ayoko s'yang magalit sa 'kin.

I wanted him to touch me. I wanted him to hug me and tell me that I was really safe now.

But he didn't know anything about that. He just looked at me. His eyes were murderous. Parang mas gugustuhinko nang makitang walang reaction ang mukha n'ya kaysa sa magalit s'ya sa 'kin.