Prefect Duties

very brief mention of abuse from ⭐️ until the second ⭐️ they're usually only one paragraph

Sirius' POV:

As Remus slid back into the carriage, waking me, I stayed lying against the window still seemingly asleep. James asked in a joking voice, "So Remus, where's the badge?"

"It's made of silver dimwit" he said in an equally playful tone, Remus never took this sort of thing too seriously, when it came to his "furry little problem".

"Oh right! Of course. Anyway, how come you didn't tell us anything?" James asked curiously.

"Ah, see, I knew it would bring so much joy to you all to have the surprise, plus, I was in denial, if I didn't tell anyone maybe it would just be a dream." He replied laughing with James.

"Oh of course, well I mean it was simply hilarious" James said laughing still.

I decided that sleeping was no longer an effective way to pass time and sat up, stretching the cramps out of my neck.

Remus turned to me, "Oh, I'm sorry, did we wake you?" he said in a concerned voice.

"Nah it's alright, anyway, we're nearly at the castle, I'm going to change into my robes" I said decidedly.

"Okay" Remus said.

⭐️

I stood up and a shooting pain ran down my leg, my mother had made sure to enforce my punishment even harder last night. I had apparently been speaking back again, I wasn't even sure when I was doing it anymore.

I turned and walked towards the carriage door squeezing past Remus, our legs brushing gently, as I tried to avoid making my limp too obvious. It wasn't that I didn't want to tell my friends, it was just all too complicated and invited too many questions, so I avoided it.

I walked out the carriage and down the corridor towards the bathroom. I saw my brother Regulus sitting with his friends who all sneered as I walked past, he sent my an apologetic smile. He was a good brother, and was only choosing to escape my mother's wrath rather than rebelling like I had chosen too. I understood his choices and he understood mine. He came to check on me late at night sometimes after my mother would unleash her "punishments". I had always appreciated him. I sent back a sincere half smile as I passed, the pain still shooting down my leg.

⭐️

I changed quickly and slid back into our carriage as the train pulled into Hogsmead. We were a lot closer to the school than I had thought, clearly I had walked very slowly with my limp. I sat back down next to Remus again and sighed. He shot me a concerned look, Peter and James were chatting about merlin only knows what. I smiled back at him, though I could tell he saw through me, but still he returned the smile, with a hint of concern hidden in his eyes.

The train pulled into the platform and together we walked off the train and towards the carriages, Peter and James running ahead. Remus pulled behind and walked with me at my slow pace, he said nothing but somehow I felt more understood than I ever had before. as we approached the horseless carriages, Remus turned to me and said, "You can't see them, can you?"

"No, what do you mean? who's them?" I asked confused.

"The horses, that pull the carriages" Remus said calmly.

"No, I guess I can't" I said definitely.

"That's a shame, they're beautiful" he said softly, his voice had a hint of sadness to it.

We climbed into a carriage with James and Peter who were now talking about Lily. "Did you see how she was looking at me? She definitely is going to go out with me this year, right Sirius?" James asked me.