Year One: Part Two

Draco POV:

He understood why Severus was confused and concerned about his and Harry's friendship.

Severus is close with his parents and he's never heard or seen anything about Harry, but Harry and his families secrets are not his own to share. He won't throw them under the knight bus.

Draco reaches a hallway in the dungeons and finds his friends leaning against the wall waiting on him, like Harry told him he would.

When they see him they push off the wall and walk towards him.

"I need to go to library" Blaise says

"Lead the way" Draco says.

"What did he want to talk to you about?" Harry asks him once they are walking beside each other.

"He asked about you" Draco says tentatively

Harry turns his head to look at Draco "what did you tell him?"

"I told him that we have been friends since we were toddlers, but I would tell him anything else"

Harry nods "thank you"

Draco puts a hand on his shoulder "of course" he drops his voice to an even lower whisper and says "I care about James and Reg too".

Harry smiles at him, they walk the rest of the way to the library in comfortable silence.

When they enter the library they see Weasley and Longbottom sitting at a table in the corner, definitely not doing homework.

Draco notices Harry look at them for a moment then look away when he notices Draco watching him.

As much as Draco hates Weasley he was hoping that his speech would work, Harry hasn't had a chance to make friends growing up, now that he has they won't befriend him back because of his house.

Draco was about to steer Harry to a table on the opposite side of the library when Weasley looked up and met Draco's eyes, Draco sneered at him.

Unexpectedly Weasley calls out "oi! Harry want to sit with us?"

The four of them freeze for a moment before Harry smiles, he turns to look at them and says "you don't have to sit with them if you don't want to, but I'm going to sit with them" then he's walking towards them.

Draco admires how Harry won't force them to hang around people they don't like.

The three Slytherins look at each other and silently agree to follow Harry. They don't trust that Weasley won't use Harry because of his fame, and he's had such little experience with people that he'd let himself be used.

Once he found out though, it's safe to say that person wouldn't cross Harry again. He wouldn't permanently harm anyone, but he knows enough jinxes to make them regret it.

And Draco would prefer if his best friend didn't get kicked out of Hogwarts before they'd even been there a year.

"What's up" Harry asks as they sit down.

"Pretending to study" Weasley says.

"Why are you pretending, why not actually do it" Harry questions.

"Her" Longbottom points to where Granger is sitting at a table alone with a book.

"She's awful" Weasley groans, "all she wants to do is read and study, and if we're not she starts lecturing us". Longbottom nods.

Harry didn't say anything as he pulled out his own books, Draco knew Harry was wondering what was so bad about wanting to read and study, just as Draco was.