8 - 𝖈𝖔𝖓𝖈𝖊𝖉𝖎𝖓𝖌

CW: blood, violence, and unsettling descriptions

"I know who the murderer is," Jean confidently states, standing poised to the ground.

Both you and Reiner's eyes simultaneously widen. "What? You do?" you ask, instantly stepping closer to him with immense shock prominent in your tone.

"Who?" the blonde adds as he steps up as well, desperately desiring to uncover the murderer's hidden identity.

Jean leans in, closing the proximity between all of you. He brings his head in between you and Reiner and lowers his voice into a whispered tone. "It's--"

"Jean."

The icy, piercing tone causes Jean's body to stiffen, completely paralyzed and glued to the floor. He doesn't dare to look behind him. He knows the man in the doorway has the power to spare his life or eternally end it.

"Eren!" you exclaim cheerfully, running up to greet him with a hug.

He returns your contagious smile, briefly wrapping his arms around you then pulling away to continue his conversation. "Sorry for the interruption. The door was unlocked, so I let myself in."

"No worries, Eren," Reiner assures him, motioning his hand into the air to brush it off. "So why're you here?"

The brunette grins, the smile harboring a secretive malevolent presence that only Jean is capable of sensing. The room's atmosphere becomes thin, horror restricting his natural ability to breathe in oxygen. His breaths become heavy and short, and sweat begins to form on his forehead and trickles down to the floor.

Eren pats a firm hand on Jean's shoulder, and the only thought the taller male can conceive is having that same hand tear him apart, limb by limb and placing those organs into a grave of his own, meeting the same frightening fate as Eren's other victims.

He imagines his own funeral, his family grieving his loss, his friends crying because of yet another death. He can't die. He hasn't professed his love for Mikasa. He can't die and have her cry at his funeral without knowing the overwhelming affection he felt for only her.

He can't have her hold on to Eren's arm and cry into his chest, seeking comfort in the one who caused this never-ending feeling of your life being in utter jeopardy in the hands of an anonymous mastermind. He can't let Eren receive the satisfaction of keeping on getting what he wants. But he also can't do a damn thing to prevent that outcome from happening.

"Captain Levi has a scheduled meeting with Jean right now," Eren explains, tightening his grip on Jean's shoulder.

All he can do is nod, nod over and over again. He probably looks insane, slightly bobbing his head back and forth while his eyes never blink and remain fixed onto the blank wall.