14 - 𝖊𝖘𝖈𝖆𝖕𝖎𝖓𝖌

Three, loud knocks sound on your door, startling you as you struggle to pull up your left boot over your ankle.

"I'll be there in a second!" you call, gritting your teeth as your grip tightens around the fabric.

Once it finally slides on, you exhale a relieved sigh before standing up and walking over to the door, opening it to come face to face with the person you least expected.

Levi.

He appears bothered—more bothered than usual. His fists are clenched, and he refuses to look you in the eye. "Erwin's going to investigate you." That's all he says before leaving and motioning for you to trail behind him.

You walk in silence, fearing a spark of conversation won't aid his irate morale. You keep your mouth shut and survey the area you're venturing to. It's a lone cabin, similar to yours, in an open field. You can see a glimpse of Erwin's blonde hair through the window, and he looks to be scribbling something down on a sheet of paper.

Levi steps up to the front door and knocks before it opens. Erwin gestures for you to enter, and Levi watches as the door closes, cursing himself for allowing you to be interrogated. 

Once you hear the door click shut, you take a seat in a plastic chair in front of a desk. Erwin sits down in the office chair behind the desk and makes unwavering eye contact with you. 

"When was the last time you saw Jean Kirstein?" he asks.

"In the cafeteria. He was accusing me of murdering the other cadets."

"And as I recall, he died that day, did he not?"

You swallow apprehensively. "He did, sir."

Erwin smiles. "Was that a coincidence?"

"I had nothing to do with Jean's death."

"Oh, really?" The blonde leans forward. "I've heard that many people are starting to believe you killed him as well. It was the only way to silence him, so I understand your reasoning. But you can't make yourself that obvious—"

You slam your hands on the desk. "I didn't kill him."

"Do you have an alibi?"

"Do you have any real proof?"

His eyes go wide, and so do yours, surprising your own sel with your retort.

He glares at you before leaning back into his chair. "Don't talk back to your superiors, (L/N)," he commands, stare drifting down to your empty case file. "But you are right. The only lead we have is others' opinions."

You grit your teeth. "Then trust me when I say I didn't kill Jean."

Erwin nods, folding his arms across his chest and sighing. "Alright. You're dismissed."