Sunday, 28 May, 2000: The None-Date Date

Cole stayed over last night.

That sounds dodge, but it really isn't. He just stayed until 2 in the a.m. so I offered him the spare room. He kept me company and kept my mind off Colby and Amazon, so I didn't want him to go out in the cold night at such an ungodly hour.

I wake up to the smell of something burning. I sit up straight in bed and look around slightly disoriented. The burning is not in my room.

I get out of bed and run down the stairs.

Nothing in the living area.

I run to the kitchen and stop in the doorway.

What I see:

- Cole frantically trying to pull burnt toast out of the toaster, blackened from being in too long.

- Two pans on the stove. One has scrambled eggs in it and the other has the remnants of pancake batter sticking to it.

He put fresh bread into the toaster.

He hasn't noticed me yet. I'm leaning against the doorframe, watching Cole quickly take the pancake pan and pour a small amount of Sunlight dishwashing liquid into it and wash it with the soft side of the dish-sponge.

He rinses it out and puts it back on the stove. He fetches pork - or beef - sausages from the fridge and throws them into the pan.

I decide to make myself known. But I forget that there's a little step between the kitchen and lounge.

I, being the clumsy me, trip. A small shreak escapes my lips.

I hear a curse and shattering noise come from next to the stove.

I close my eyes with pain as my knees connect with the tiles. I hold my breath. But I don't faceplant.

I open my eyes slowly, and my face is not even three millimeters away from the floor.

Something has a hold on my arms, protecting my face from further bruising.

Cole.

I gasp for breath as he pulls me back to my feet. He saved me.

"Uh... I forgot that was there." I say dumbly.

He chuckles and helps me up onto my feet.

"Thanks." I whisper. He leads me over to the marble top island in the centre or the kitchen with four high-rise stools around it. There are four but only two have ever been filled at the same time. I often eat alone. That's why we never bought a dining room suite when we moved away from Baker's street three years ago.

I notice that the shattering noise came from a plastic plate, that Cole dropped when rushing to save me. My mother never bought proper crockery, she has a fear of it shattering, like her life.

I sit down. He puts a plate in front of me and by the stool he was going to sit in. Then he puts a stack of pancakes, a pan of scrambled eggs and the sausages out on the table.

"Grab it and grow." he tells me. He piles three pancakes onto his plate, puts some egg on top of that then takes one of the sausages and cuts it up, mixing it with the egg.

I'm a little more conservative. I take a single pancake and put a small amount of egg on top. Then I roll the pancake around it and take a bite. It's heavenly.

"Aren't you going to have some pork sausage?" he asks with a disappointed frown.

"I'm vegetarian." I supply shortly, enjoying my egg and pancake too much to elaborate.

"I didn't peg you for a save-the-animals vegie." he mumbles to his plate.

"I'm not a save-the-animals vegie. I just don't like the taste of meat. And I'm not a vegie. I'm a vegetarian. There's a difference." I retort.

"Okay." he says apologetically.

We sit in a comfortable silence. It's nice that I don't have to talk all the time for it to be comfortable between us.

Once we finish the breakfast/lunch, Cole put our plates and the pans in the sink.

"You don't need to worry about cleaning those. Lucy will do that." I say as he is reaching for the dish-sponge. Lucy is our domestic, she cleans the house and cooks. She lives in the domestic courters that attaches to the back of the house with her little five-year-old boy. Poor thing has to grow up without a father as well. That's why I wanted Lucy to come work for us; I felt connected to the boy.

"Okay." he takes his hand back and stands next to the sink awkwardly. Is he not used to leaving dishes unwashed?

"Hey, listen. I should get outta here, I've got some homework that needs finishing." he says before going to the door. I follow him.

I stand on the patio as he walks down the pathway to his '67 black Chevy Impala with a solid roof.

Just before he gets into his car, he yells over to me, "Thanks for the date!"

Date? What date? I look at him confused. I voice my confusion.

He chuckles and replies, "Breakfast!"

"That wasn't a date!" I yell back.

"Okay, then. Thank you for none-date date!" he yells and before I can reply he jumps into his car and speeds off.

--------------------

A/N: Okay, okay. Not a very long chap, but not too short either.

This is one of my most favourite chapters, like for real. I have deep love for these two.

How are you feeling for the breakfast scene? Let me know. It makes me hungry for more Jole - Jane and Cole's ship name, or you could come up with one.

The first to post a non-update, non-hate comment gets the commented on chapter dedicated to them.

xoxo BiancaMM