Friday, 21 February, 2003: Pop the Question, Damn It!

I pass my exams with flighing colours. 90s all around. I choose not to go to university, because I already got a job offer at a gallery in town.

To celebrate me passing matric with all distinctions, mom and dad finally agreed on two things. That they both love me and that they will behave themselves for the party Mark planned for me and my girls, Skylar and Kate.

He wouldn't tell me where it was, or who he invited. He just says "It will be perfect" or "Wait and see" every time I ask him.

Kate, Skylar and I gave up on trying to find out what's happening and, instead, plan a shopping trip for the three of us. I get five hundred Rand from mom and dad, trying to outdo mom, gave me one thousand Rand. I laughed as mom shoved another five hundred Rand in my hand after she saw how much he gave me yesterday. So, two grand, three girls, and a mall. Sounds like heaven.

When I meet up with Kate and Skylar at the mall, I find out they also have money. Skylar bringing a grand - because that's all her father can afford, and we're cool with that - and Kate bringing four grand - because her parents are filthy rich, and show her love by giving her money. In total that's seven grand.

I'm on cloud nine.

Moving from shop to shop, our conjoined money becomes less and less. We need to make several trips to Kate's car, because she's the only one who drives, to put bags upon bags of clothes and shoes down.

We have lunch at twelve at the Mug & Bean. Skylar has a mince pie, Kate has a smoked chicken salad and I have a cream cheese croissant.

After lunch, we hit the book shops and buy a few fictions we might enjoy. Though Kate doesn't want to buy any because she doesn't like reading, we get her hooked onto a vampire fiction novel (A/N: Not Twilight.) that she won't be able to put down.

After shopping for another two hours after lunch, we decide to head back to my house to get ready for the party.

Kate gives us a lift there, which is so great, because I hate walking everywhere all the time. But I guess I can focus on getting my licence now that school is over.

We get to the house and quickly unload our things, throwing the bags into my room. I'm about to close my bedroom door for privacy when mom calls me from the kitchen. I roll my eyes but tell the girls that I'll be right back and that they should start looking for things to wear.

I close the door behind me before going downstairs and into the kitchen.

The sight that greets me is a... Well, sight.

Mom and dad are on either side of the island and seem to be getting along. Very much so. Even smiling at each other. Holding hands!

"Umm... You called for me mom?" I say more hesitant than I wanted to let on.

Mom looks to me and quickly jumps to her feet, ripping her hand out of my dad's grip. What the hell is going on? Dad gets up as well.

"Oh! Yes! You're dad's here." she mumbles and turns to the coffee maker.

"Well, I can see that." I say and roll my eyes. "But why did I have to come down for you to tell me that?" I ask, slightly annoyed that I have to skip out on deciding on outfits for my besties.

"I have something for you." I turn to dad. It's the first time I've actually looked at him. He looks healthy and he's smiling. He's also holding a small box up. I squeal and immediately sit down at the island. He sits down next to me.

He puts the box down in front of me and I feel giddiness fill my being.

"Your mother and I collaborated on it. We thought you could use it tonight, if you wanted to, I mean. We just thought it would look good on you." he rambles slightly and I give him a side hug.