Chapter 4 (Never really alone)

Mallory's pov:

Saturday. My favourite day of the week. No school, just relaxing and doing whatever I want.
I sit up from my bed, yawning aloud and stretching every limb in my body. I scratch my ears as I stand and walk towards my bathroom. Humming a random song I heard on Johnny's car radio the other day.
I brush my teeth so they are pearly white, running my tongue along the top set.

I step out of my bathroom and head to my wardrobe. Picking out brown cargos and a grey baggy shirt. As well as my dark green jumper. I head downstairs, greeted by my mother, cooking breakfast for us all. Johnny sat on the couch watching netflix, and dad probably in the study.

"Morning Mallory." My mother formally says.
"Morning mum." I reply.

I slouch down next to Johnny, getting comfy just as my brother nudges me.

"Oi dick, what was that for?" I snap.
"Go to dad's office." He whispers.
I raise an eyebrow as he nods.
I cautiously get up and walk to dad's office.
I knock on the door, and I hear a deep voice.

"Come in." He says.
"Johnny told me to come in here?" I reply in a confused manner.
"Shut the door and lock it, I don't want your mother hearing." He demands.

I hesitantly turn around, locking the door.
I sit down on the chair, facing directly towards him. Making myself comfortable.

"So......wassup." I express confusion.
"I've got something for you." He looks at me with excitement?
"Okayyyyy....." I respond anxiously.
"No need to be so tense, Mally." He says, handing me a small box with a green bow tied around it.
"For me?" I question.

He nods his head excessively as I begin to untie the knott, slowly lifting up the box lid. My eyes almost pop out of my head. Car keys!?
I jump up in ecstasy. Almsot pouncing on my father, hugging him until his lungs give out.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!" I repeatedly express my gratefulness.
"You are very welcome. Now I know you are 16, which means u can't drive till your next birthday, but it's good to practise, so let's go give it a spin." He implies.

I hurriedly leave the study with dad following behind. I stop, not knowing where my new car is. He chuckles, walking ahead of me to the garage. Of course.

I follow him when I hear a cough.
"Where are u going so giddy?"
Shit.
I face her with a pretend look of confusion on my face.
"Your ears are perked up, and your tail is practically propelling off." She remarks.
"Can I not be happy?" I scoff.
"Watch your mouth, young lady." She glares.
"That's enough!" My father yells from behind me.

Everyone's ears lower, including Johnny, who is peacefully sitting on the couch eating potato chips. Silence is the loudest thing in this house right now.

"Delilah, as much as I love you. She is your daughter. Treat her like one. Her being cursed does not give her any less off a right to be treated with any less respect than anyone else. YOU, out of all people, should know that." He angrily spits.

Me and Johnny look at each other with a bewildered expression. What did he mean? Out of everyone, she should know? Strange.
My mother looks down at the ground with a saddened face.

"I'm sorry, Mally. I just worry about her, Eric." She mutters.
"You know I'm standing right here?" I bite.
"Why does everyone think I'm invisible, I'm always the subject in your conversation, and it's never in a good way. I didn't ask to have this stupid curse, did I? No. So stop blaming me, just because it was passed down to me. I know what I'm capable of doing, so stop treating me like I'm a 3 year old child trying to run a marathon. It's been a whole week of school, and no one has even attempted to ask how it's been. Always just 'don't talk to anyone' or 'keep your head down'. I'm a person too, you know!" I scream with tears streaming down my face.