Chapter 12 (Alive)

Eric Locke's Pov:

My eyes twitch as I pull my body up off my desk. Great, I fell asleep in my office again. I head to the kitchen, grabbing my mug and switching on the coffee machine. Waiting patiently for my mug to fill.

I hear Mallory come down the stairs and joins me in the kitchen.

She's looking down at her phone, grinning. Her thumbs moving rapidly against her screen. Is she texting someone?

"Hey Mally, watcha doing?" I question.

She switches her phone off and shoves it in her pocket.

"Huh? What? I'm not doing anything!" She exclaims with a panicked tone.

I raise an eyebrow, and she stares at me without saying a word. Almost as if she's telling me to back off without using her words.

"Alright, alright, I believe you!" I hold my hands up in the air, not wanting to push her limits and set her off.

I think she has just began to let loose around us all since the last family argument. I just hope she's not being rebellious. I know she's my daughter, but we all know it's still not safe for her to be in contact with so many people. Her school is infested with humans and others. Although supreme eyes only affect humans if anyone found out about her being a supreme or our family's past with the "myth"....

We would be hunted. Killed.

I won't let that happen to my family.

"If you frown anymore, your brows are going to conjoin as one." Mally snorts.

I must have zoned out.

"Your coffee is done, dad." She points towards the machine. My mug filled to the top with froff hanging over the edge.

"Oh, thanks, Mal." I smile at her as she looks at me with suspicion.

"Okay...." She grabs her phone again, and it looks like she's typing again.

Ugh. I have to ask. I need to make sure she's being responsible.

"Mally, who are you texting?" I ask. My tone sounding more strict than I intended.

Her ears lower.

"No one." She mutters without looking at me.

"Mallory. Look at me. Please." I softly speak.

Her head slowly lifts as she creates eye contact with me.

"It's just someone from school." She admits.

My heart pains.

She has a friend? She talks to someone in school.

...

"Are they a friend?" I question.

"I'm not going to lie. So, yes. Her name is Maeve Harley. She's a meifwa, and she's in the year below me. We have a few classes together, and we were put next to each other." She says, not breaking eye contact.

Like she is trying to stand up for this girl? A form of protection radiates off of her

Wait.

"Mallory Locke. Tell me you have not marked this girl." I demand.

Her eyes widen, and the coffee in her mouth is now all over the kitchen countertop.

"I'm sorry, but I was not expecting that. No, I haven't marked her dad, like what, why would I even do that?" She says, wiping the remaining coffee that landed on her face.

I feel a small weight lifted off my shoulder. At least it's just a friend.

"You seem protective of her. It was a valid question." I imply. Shrugging my shoulders.

"Right. Don't really know how to feel about that dad. I mean, what can i say she just makes me feel... Alive." Mallory remarks.

I laugh.

"Just, be careful, alright? I'll support you no matter what, but just be sensible." I suggest.

She nods her head and makes her way upstairs. I'm guessing to her room.

Mallory's pov:

As I sit back down on my gaming chair, I can't help but replay the conversation me and my dad just had.

Am I protective over Maeve? I mean, I don't think I'm that overly protective. I'm just cautious of people around her.

I turn on my laptop and ask Maeve to join me. She instantly connects into my lobby, and we battle together.

We decide to call so we can communicate better with each other. However, I think she has popped my ear drums by screaming so loud when we were under attack. Her poor neighbours.

Eric Locke's Pov:

I feel bad for the kid.

I wonder what this Maeve is like. I guess it's a good thing she's a meifwa and not a human. It gives me a sort of relief that she won't be affected by this.

What was her last name again?
Maeve... Harley?

Why do I recognise that name?

Harley?

Wait...

Lilia Harley?

That's...

I immediately whip out my phone and head to my office.

I lock my door and sit on my chair.

Dialling a number I thought I wouldn't have to call for years.

"Hello?" A dark, deep voice croaks.

"We have a problem." I grit.