The Ten Kingdoms - Chapter 24

(Hope you enjoy!)

(One Week later)

Kain Usao

I was currently on the border of Villena and Eplica, waiting for their representative to arrive, we were going hunting for this so-called Reaper thing. I didn't know what to expect, but I knew whatever it was killed one of their Royal Guards, which meant it wasn't weak. I read the note, I knew what it was capable of, that's why there was a small unit of mages waiting for our arrival.

I saw someone exit the tree line across the open field I was in, and I knew immediately who it was, so I started my approach towards her. Sasha Bane, a fierce fire warrior, somewhat like myself since fire and lava are related in a sense.

She had long red hair, it laid past her shoulders, and she looked very skinny in the red armor she was wearing that covered almost her entire body. It outlined her physique, and when her brown eyes landed on me, she knew who I was as well.

"Kain Usao of the Royal Guard of Villena, it's an honor to be working with you." Sasha said, nodding her head at me as we stopped and faced one another. "I remember you from the last mission you had in Eplica, we didn't get to talk, but I am happy we do now."

"Likewise." I told her, nodding my head at her this time. "And I remember you, Sasha Bane." I ran a hand through my hair, my heart was racing already, I wasn't afraid of this thing we were possibly going to be fighting, but from what I heard, I should be. "Now, how far out are we from the force coming along with us to investigate this Reaper?"

"About a mile out." Sasha told me as the two of us turned towards the tree line she had just exited. "It should take us about two minutes if we use mana to there, but there is some information we should go over before that."

"I agree." I told her, wanting to know everything she had on this Reaper, the more information the better. "Has anything changed over the last week?" I asked, I didn't receive a second message after the first one, so I was a little curious about the situation.

"We've located some tracks deeper within the forest, but other than that, we haven't located the thing yet." She told me, and I figured as much, I wouldn't have come if they did. "It's magic though, it was on a whole other level than any other magical monster I've seen. It was like it was human, it made zero sense to me."

"Where you fighting it?" I asked, wondering if she was one of the three that forced it to retreat. "I heard it took on three of your Royal Guards, that's why I was somewhat surprised when I read only two of us were going in further."

"I was fighting it, but unlike the other two, I wasn't really injured in the battle." She told me, and just as I expected, she was strong, I could sense it. "And for the reason only two of us are going, it's because we injured it pretty badly, cut off an arm, one of its eyes was destroyed, so two of us with a group of mages should be enough once we find it."

I nodded, thinking about it, she fought this thing and didn't get injured, she must be stronger than I thought. If one Royal Guard member died, and two others got injured, she may be stronger than me with such a simple element.

"Sounds good." I replied, looking forward, preparing to push the mana I had around my body into my muscles. "What type of magic did this one have?" I asked, wanting to know as much as I could before I went into any fight.

"Truthfully, I don't know the type, but to us, we determined it was wind magic." I nodded, wind magic, that could mean multiple things. "It was shooting these red scythes through the air, at first we thought it was fire or lava magic, however, they didn't burn, they just sliced anything they came in contact with."