The Ten Kingdoms Chapter - 26

(Here's another chapter, if I was writing it in books, this would be the end of the first part. I hope you enjoy, the few readers who are here.)

Liam Carnell

I was sitting in the office with my father and Duke Glennon, listening to the report that was just given to us from a soldier named Sasha. She's from the Kingdom of Eclipa, Kain had gone on a mission with her to find the Reaper that attacked.

The Reaper was given the code name the Lost Reaper, I don't know why, but in the report that's what it states. So far, all we know is that it was found once again in Eclipa, but my father paused for a second to talk to me.

"Liam, I don't know what else is on this report, so prepare yourself, it might not be what we want to hear." He told me, and as I nodded my head, knowing there wasn't much for me to do besides that, I could see Duke Glennon observing me, but as my father went on, he turned away. "It appears Sasha and a bunch of soldiers met up with Kain."

"They went into the Lost Forest together in search for this Reaper." I wonder what this thing was like, how strong it was, but I have to imagine that if Sasha survived, they killed it. "And when they found it, the thing was completely healed, they believed it to be injured from the last fight, but it wasn't."

"Sasha and Kain sent the soldiers with them away, knowing that they would only get in the way, and fought it together." I don't understand why this report wasn't from Kain, unless he was injured and healing in Eclipa. "In the fight, they took serious injuries, dealing some of their own to the Reaper, but in the end, someone had to make a sacrifice."

"Oh no." Duke Glennon said, thinking about something I hadn't picked up on yet. "Don't tell me."

"To take the Reaper down, and to make sure Sasha and the others got out alive, Kain, brought the ceiling of stones above them down on the Reaper to kill it and him." My father said, then a silence filled the air.

Kain was dead.

I sometimes forget that this place wasn't all magical and fairytale like, this world is extremely dangerous, and these things, these Reapers, they want me for some reason. Kain was a Royal Guard though, he was supposed to be the strongest of the strong, his death means anyone could die at any moment.

"The Dungeon they found the Reaper in was sealed shut off down on a lower floor, then they sealed it off even more a couple floors up." My dad went on, not bringing up Kain's death. "They believe there is no way for the Reaper to get free, and if it was going to, it would be in years, it's wind blades were going to have to cut through tons of stones."

"They defeated it, but at what costs." Duke Glennon said, shaking his head as he thought about it. "Kain died a hero, but it could still be alive down there, clawing to get free." That was true, and if it was alive, it's going to do whatever it can to get to me. "But like you said, or the report says, it's going to be years until it can get free."

"Yeah." My father said, eyeing me up for a second. "You alright?" I nodded my head once again, not able to form a sentence as I thought about the Royal Guard who just sacrificed his life to take down something coming after me. "Well, I'll inform his family."

"What are we going to do about this situation though?" Duke Glennon asked. "If word gets out that a Royal Guard member died on a mission in Eclipa, people will start to worry that there is a threat out there we can't handle."

"It doesn't matter." My father assured him, waving his hand at him as he stood. "With his death, we report that he killed the Beast. We say he sacrificed his life to save the Kingdom, to save the Kingdoms. It'll settle the discomfort and bring the people together."