12

Eliana

I looked over his features and my chest tightened at how much they changed throughout the years. I still couldn't believe he was standing in front of me, "Are you going to let me in Eliana?"

I blinked hard to make sure that I wasn't hallucinating, "How the hell are you here right now?" The last time I talked to him we had to cut all communication. It had gotten worse back home and he thought it was for the best that we did. Better for the family and me.

He chuckled and rubbed his hands together, "I guess I should've called before I came."

"Is it the boys?" My eyes widen and I turned around stepping to the side. Lucia eyes widen at the sight of my brother. She had only ever seen him in a few old photos I had around, "Oh shit."

I turned back at him, "Come in Elias this is my roommate Lucia." He stepped in the apartment and I closed the door behind him. I gestured towards the couch, "Lucia and I will get you something."

He nodded and took a seat, pushing a few boxes to the side, "Are you moving?"

I ignored his question and dragged Lucia to the kitchen. She whispered watching me frantically put things together, "What is he doing here?"

I scoffed and poured my favorite drink in a cup, "You think I know? I'm just as shocked as you." I toasted some bread, "Don't mention the club or the boys or about me moving. Just act like it never happened."

Her eyebrows pulled together but she nodded, "Fine, but you have to tell me why later." I spread avocado that I had left over from this morning on the bread.

"Thank you." I made a promise to my brother that I would never affiliate myself with stripping once I left. He helped me get back into school with the hope that it would keep me off the pole. Especially out of the mafia. I was neck deep in both all in one fell swoop.

I brought over the drink and toast for him. He smiled at the gesture and took a sip, "Wow they sell this over here too, doesn't taste as good as it does back home." He started on the toast, "If I knew you still liked it I would've brought you some, next time."

"Elias why are you here?" I know he expected me to be excited to see him, but something felt off. He didn't pop up here for an innocent surprise, he couldn't have. He would've told me and he would've brought one of our younger siblings along. At the least.

He finished the toast in a couple of bites, "I had to make sure you were alright." He finished the glass and sighed, "Frisco is coming to America."

I tried to act as surprised as I can, DeLeón already telling me the bad news weeks prior. But although hearing it before didn't soften the blow either. If my brother was telling me, it was true. I knew DeLeón wouldn't lie to me, but I had hoped it wasn't true. This officially makes it true, "What?"

He rubbed his hands, "He's more powerful now Eliana, he's spreading like a virus. And I'm afraid he's going to get his hands on you again."

"He won't." I quickly reassured him and curiosity spread through Elias's face. "He can't get away with it again Elias not that easy." I added, knowing that the sureness in my voice didn't make sense to him. I tried to throw him off as best I could, "We were young then stupid, not this time, we have to be smarter this time."

He wasn't falling for it, "How can you be so sure?" I couldn't let him find out about the club, about the mafia, about the boys. He would take me back.

I put my hands on his sitting closer to him, "If you're here telling me that means you have a plan, right?" I searched his eyes and pushed even further, "Right?"