One

It could have been so much better to see me wearing a white scrub during clinicals, mom said, but I strongly disagree. This has always been a debate in our home every dinner. Since high school, my parents who are both successful in their medical careers have been pushing me to become like them, or to be them, which sparked more reasons why I have to get away and be different and be who I wanted to be.

I jumped on my bed with a huge sigh as I tossed my volleyball up the ceiling.

The ceiling stared back at me. I saw bunny clouds and cute elephants hopping from one corner to another. Then it got all dispersed when the volleyball bounced off my head.

Ouch! Damn it!

This seems harder than I thought.

Why writing has to be complexed?

I got up scratching my head.

The ball continued rolling on the floor before it reached the stand of the long mirror where it stopped. Only the whirring of the computer fan can be heard after.

I marched to the mirror.

Supposedly, I should see my own reflection. Instead, I saw that guy from nursing. His troubled face revealed when he took his helmet off. He was sitting on the road with his white uniform stained with dirt and sprinkles of blood.

As if I traveled back in time, the event was still vivid.

It lustered my memories as I tried to recall it again.

The tires started screeching behind my ears. Without the seatbelt, I could have fly forward. I remembered shielding my body with my right arm, reducing the impact from the back of the passenger's headrest. Everything happened in seconds.

There was a school shuttle hampered in front of our car.

I tucked my legs up on the side of my bed, just how I tucked my legs on the leathered car seats after the incident. Cold air kept blowing to my face. Still puzzled like the students' faces when they came down running to the front of the shuttle.

He was from the College of Nursing, I remembered someone saying when I opened my car window.

From the College of Nursing.

I reached my phone.

It started chiming.

The tiny-bitsy bells continued ringing while flooding my notifications as it was about to blow up.

Guys, have you seen this video?

Was this the accident this morning?

I heard other students were talking about this in the canteen.

Was this Eric from the College of Nursing?

I was there standing on the pavement with students formed in circle around him. They were in front of me. Never gotten the front row but I could still peek in. They were murmuring, chattering, buzzing like bees until one presented herself. Her name was Maureen. She said she was a Red Cross volunteer.

Maureen treated him with first aid. She was very careful. Who knows he might have dislocated some bones or torn some muscles.

The shuttle driver was pacing while talking to his phone. Sweats raced off his scalp. After the call, he announced that the ambulance was on its way.

It started to drizzle.

The ground fumed with earthy smell.

The students hurried back to the shuttle before they got wet, while a few remained.