Thirteen

Gail Mason glanced at me when Tyson Villamor called our names after the five-minute extension he allotted for our break. I followed her with my eyes as she stood up from her chair and walked away while joining the other twenty-two delegates at the center stage.

Usually, she would drag my hands and pull me with her during company calls. But after our conversation of keeping the level of our friendship cool for now, she turned cold as well. 

This familiarity reminded me of Michelle Young somehow. I just hoped that I would never chase another good friend from hallways to hallways again. 

As we all gathered around Tyson, he instructed us to rerun the rehearsals from the very top. If we could perfect the stage blockings and routine, he promised we could go home early.

She maintained her distance while we retreated to the backstage. She had never spoken a single word since, but her mind seemed clouded with a lot of thinking. I figured she needed a space.

Just when the lights surrounding the stadium were lit as darkness painted the sky, we finished and wrapped up the day. Everyone retired to their seats, exhausted, ready to go home, but suddenly got recharged when we heard a loud screaming.

Eric.

That guy from Nursing.

We saw him emerged from those exhilarating group of female athletes who were supposed to be on their way out from their practice in the oval but got tantalized when they recognized him. 

Dare 'would not?

Aside from his notable appearance and recognizable stance, he also wore his pink hooded CON jacket that had his surname printed at the back, said, "George".

Perhaps bewitched by his charming aura, the girls trailed his path until they reached the staircase on one side of the stage where he started taking the steps up. They continued following him, almost crowding the stage, not until Tyson rushed to stop and stray them away. 

When Eric got closer to us, Paulo Perez greeted him with a hug and asked him, "What are you doing here? Should you be home already?"

"I was about to," he said as his eyes scanned all of our surprised faces before he focused his gaze at Maureen Anderson. He smiled at her.

Rumor had it that the two started seeing each other after our dance rehearsal yesterday. No wonder, Stephanie Prince was unhinged when I tried to introduce myself that day. 

Does she really still have feelings for Eric?

I stepped back.

I was about to turn around and step away just like the other delegates but he redirected his eyes towards my direction. My feet froze where I was standing as he approached me, leaving Maureen unattended from behind.

While he paved his way, the spotlight focused on him as if he was taking the stage over with his blazing and imposing presence. I'd never seen him onstage before, but if this was the reigning king, I must admit that I had to put in some more work to do to be his eligible successor.

It's undeniably true. With no longer having a crutch on, his walk could be very commanding and intimidating at the same time. With his glaring eyes focused on me, I looked like I was his prey-target and he was the predator — ready to devour me.   

In fact, when he got closer and closer, I just closed my eyes as he extended his arms. I thought I was dead, but instead, I felt his hands pressed gently on my forehead then down to my neck as he checked the warmness of my throat. 

"I came here right away after I heard what happened to you," he said. 

He grasped my shoulders and whispered to my ears, "Are you alright?"