Four

Adamson Hospital

The humungous sign was lit along with the streetlights and outdoor landscape lanterns as we drove around the circle. Robert pulled over at the main entrance before he propped the door open for me.

Theresa came down with bags filled with food and fruits. Although how difficult to watch her carrying those, she still refused my hand when I offered.

I stood in front of the automatic sliding door while waiting for them.

The door continued opening then closed, opening then closed.

As I felt my feet became heavy to drag, everything came flashing back.

I was in the third grade when grandpa Philip came to pick me up and Bryan after school for the weekend while mom and dad were away for their wedding anniversary trip. 

My grandparents insisted to their in-laws to have us since it had been a long time after our last visit in their house in the mountain province where mom grew up.

We were so excited that day. I was looking forward to play with my cousins and eat the delicious food grandma would make special for us.

Mom's hometown was such an escape from the bustling city.

Grandpa Philip started driving when we got seated at the backseat of his car. He asked us of how our day went and tried to keep the conversation going. He did not want us to feel bored, especially that it would be a two-hour long drive. Just like last time when he had to sing when a familiar song came up on his car's radio, he planned to do the same.

We reached the final intersection before the freeway when an another car t-boned us.

Glass shattered and metal creaked.

Screeched tires and worn brake pads infused burnt smell.

Bryan wailed next to my right ear, loud as lion roar. I reached for his hand on his car seat while he won't stop crying.

I could barely see that minute. Things turned with vignette and darker then darker as I noticed a sticky liquid dripping down my lashes.

Grandpa Philip was the last thing I uttered before I lost consciousness.

"Are you okay?" Theresa asked me. She was already standing inside the lobby by the entrance door.

"Robert will follow us with the flowers. We can go ahead," she said.

I gripped back to my senses.

Then passed through the automatic sliding door.

I made it again. 

Theresa smiled next to me. She must be proud.

We continued our way down to the elevator as I pressed the button for the tenth floor.

The elevator opened to a lounging area with sofas, tables and chairs. The nurses' station was in the middle. 

There were four executive suites in this level. One is where Eric got admitted.

Eric Martin George

His name displayed on the sign outside the door.

An old woman greeted us after we knocked. Her name was Hilda and she let us come in when we told her that we were visiting from the Salazar Family. That my dad works in this hospital with Eric's dad as the hospital director. And that we brought food and flowers for Eric.

My heart was thumping heavily. 

It grew louder and louder before I reached the end of the entryway.

The last time I had this kind of feeling was looking miserably at grandpa Philip on his hospital bed with a life support attached to his body.