Six

Professor and part-time coach Ken Sullivan gathered us around with his ear-piercing whistle that echoed throughout the indoor gym.

Twelve of us men and ten women sprinted immediately to the courtside and formed a semi-circle while facing him in attention as he stood up from his chair.

His athletic fit and distinguished stance tensed our nerves. There was something in his aura that made us more intimidated when we were standing closer to him.

Behind him were the senior players in their maroon jersey observing at their benches.

As they were very excited to know their new teammates, the more worried I became. Even though I unveiled most of my skills being as a power spiker but still my gut felt unsatisfied.

I watched his eyes narrowed to his tablet while browsing it over again before thanking and congratulating us for coming to the tryout. All had been exceptional but few potential players would make it to the cut, he said.

Carlo Martinez.

William Reid.

Tuy Nguyen.

John Wyatt.

He announced the names of the students who made it to the men's volleyball team first.

While the four of them jumped in joy and excitement, my heart was crushed, broken into hundred pieces that I couldn't even collect back as my whole body stiffened in distraught.

Shame.

Volleyball had become my Giuoco Piano (a seven-move checkmate), my one-hand dunk, my music masterpiece in a blind orchestra. But the techniques, dedication and skills I learned for this sport crumbled all at once. I felt horrible thinking that my passion got denied and invalidated.

I bit my lips while facing down the floor.

"Next, I'm going to announce who made it to the women's volleyball team," he said.

Vanessa Loro.

Leah Monet.

Samantha Daniels.

Trina Alilimpan.

Beatrice Yap.

After the announcement, all of those who made it to the cut celebrated with cheers and grin on their faces. I saw the senior players came down from their benches and congratulated all of them. I heard someone saying welcome to the team and it led me thinking that I was alone again and got left behind.

I began walking away.

There I saw Anika Bailey who also did not make it but still remained optimistic and smiling. I wondered how she did that.

"Mr. Salazar!"

"Mr. Salazar!" he repeated.

Coach Sullivan was calling my name. I didn't hear him at first, not until Anika approached and told me. I turned around to see him running towards my direction. He grabbed my left shoulder when he arrived in front of me.

"You did great, boy," he said. "You could have been an amazing addition to the team but your profile tells that you're joining the pageant instead. Even though how much I wanted to have you but I can't afford to have a player that has a divided attention. You know that, right? It's very important to have discipline and focus during the training."

"I understand, coach," I mumbled.

"Try again next year, son. I'd make a room for you," he said.

It seemed like a dark looming shadow was casted above my head as I melted down at the benches outside our college building. Some students were passing by while heading home and could have seen me. It was after school. And yet my bittered tears was racing stubbornly down my cheeks. I couldn't help it.

The clouds shared the same emotion as it started trickling before the splashing of a heavy rain. A bright lightning struck and loud rumbling thunder followed.

I was drowning on my seat while my uniform got drenched and soaking wet.

"Come here."

Come here?

The voice turned audible after I paid attention to it. It was muffled by the rain, could be loud enough if we listen closely to it but very soft if we want it to miss.

I saw Gail Mason when I looked back. She spread her hands wide open before embracing me.

"It's okay," she whispered.

"Let it out," she said.

"I have convinced you so much to join this pageant. I thought that while everyone is looking up on you, we have do it for the sake of representing them, our class and our college. But I was blinded without thinking that I have overstepped and put you in a situation where you have to choose between your passion and your responsibility. So please take it out on me."

"No. You've done what you have to do, Gail," I said. "I had to choose one and give up another one. I could've give up already but still tried and failed. World must be really unfair if it allowed me to do both and be greedy. But, after all, responsibility must come first if that meant leadership. And we have started this already so why not finish it?"

I stood up beside the bench and looked at her. She was showering on the rain as well.

"I have never been seen vulnerable in my life before Gail, except you and some random students passing by earlier. Not even my parents. But I promise you this is the first and last."

"Promise me," she said then she smiled. Although water kept dripping on her face and one would perceive that there will be a grim look hiding behind the makeup mask but her natural beauty just stood out and even highlighted more.

"Now, let's hurry and take a shower and dry up before Nemesis will scold us again for being late," she said as she pulled my hand while we zoomed inside the building.

As we jinxed it, Nemesis was waiting impatiently at the door of the dance studio hall. Our call time was ten minutes passed already. No wonder when we got out of the elevator on the fifth floor, we could hear her yapping at us already from the distance.

She was hired as our professional pageant coach and had been training us with our catwalks and presentation for couple days now. Along with her team who greeted us when we entered the hall and warned us that she bore hot temper today which was very evident for sure. There's Rigel for the costume and designs, Sirius for the question and answer portion, Orion for the talent show, and Vega for the hair and makeup. All of them working together to make sure everything would result to outstanding outcome.

"Both of you, face front the mirror now," she demanded. "After your warm up, we will perfect your poses and turns. Then you will practice your talent portion. Understood?"

"Yes, ma'am," I said.

Gail Mason giggled.

We wrapped up the first week of practice with full confidence that we can bring home the crown for the College of Communication this year. Nemesis and her team was very happy to achieve the results they were aiming for. And as for us, Gail Mason and I, we promised to both of ourselves that we would do our very best not only for the whole class or for the whole college but also for ourselves, especially for the satisfaction of a triumph after all hardships and trainings—just like in volleyball.

"Bye, Drew. See you on Monday," Gail Mason said when she rolled her windows down. Their car passed us before I was about to hop in at the backseat of our car.

When I got seated comfortably, my phone suddenly chimed.

Andrew.

Son.

The George Family are coming over this Sunday for a dinner at our house.

Eric will be there too.

Let's talk more about this tomorrow when you're free.

Dad.

Loud pounding and thumping troubled my chest. If I could grasp my heart out, consider it done already. Robert had to peek at the rearview mirror making sure that I was okay.