Eleven

Gail Mason sat with me at the edge of the stage before she handed my water bottle. We were halfway through our stadium rehearsal when Tyson Villamor dismissed us all for a ten-minute break.

"What are you looking at?" she asked.

"You see those blue benches across this oval? I heard there are thousands and thousands of them," I told her. "Imagine how many people this stadium can gather in one event, and how many of those benches can seat in one convention."

"Many. Probably thousands and thousands of them," she replied. 

"And you're thinking of?" she asked.

"That it's still surreal...unbelievable...weird..." I exhaled audibly. 

Our eyes met when I focused my gaze on her. She gave me a look of why I sounded like a scaredy-cat, although, I promised her before that it would be my first and last—that I would never be vulnerable again.

"I just can't imagine facing that many people while parading myself on top of this stage," I told her. 

In my defense, the whole university including our classmates, the higher years and all members of the faculty, even the students from Nursing, would be watching me right on this stage flourish or fail, either of the two.

"I know it's scary when we think of it," she said. "But you're doing great, Drew. Just enjoy the ride and never be harsh on yourself. Dominic and the whole college are confident on us, that's what they said in our last meeting. For sure, they will be cheering for us, as much as they're supporting us now."

She grabbed my hands and held them firmly. 

"Why don't you imagine that those thousands and thousands of benches are like blue ocean waves drifting to the shore, right here on this very stage?" she asked. "What do you see?"

I closed my eyes.

I could hear the distant squawking of seagulls above my head as the water splashed densely beside my feet. 

I could feel the waves grinding with the sands as it spread all throughout the shore while the heat of the sun warmed my skin, from my forehead to my arms.

I could smell the cold tropical breeze, infused with fresh cut pineapples mixed with sweet coconut pulp, swathing all over me.

"I see myself," I said. "I'm one with the ocean."

She was smiling in front of my face when I opened my eyes. When I turned around to look at the benches, they were so blue like the ocean waves. I never got excited like this for a long time.

"I know you're always fascinated of beaches and oceans," she said. "Does it help you calm down?"

"How?" I asked her in confusion.

"How'd you know that?" I further asked.

"Oh. Isn't it pretty obvious?" she asked me back.

I watched her finished gulping some of the water from her water bottle before she scooted closer to me and said, "You got excited when we knew that the zodiac sign assigned to us was Pisces. You told me that your first pet was a goldfish and you named it, Nemo, after your favorite childhood cartoon movie."

"You still remember that?" I asked her.

"Of course," she said as she flipped her hair. "You also mentioned that your family loves going to the beaches, especially with your grandparents from your mom's side. I believe their hometown was at the mountain region, is that right? That's all I can remember."

"Wow. Impressive," I said, smirking. "It seems like you know me already."

"Perhaps." She shrugged.

We orchestrated our distant gaze as we both stared at the blue benches in sync. Like watching the ocean from a far, the color of the waves brought serenity in us while the refreshing breeze oozed comfort. We got enchanted for a moment.