chapter two - am i who's guilty?

ᥫ᭡。    

      ᥫ᭡。

     IT was 6:17pm when I heard the roar of my father's pickup truck rolling into the drive way. I had cooked dinner and cleaned up the house once I came home after school. I tried not to get distracted by the thought of Dallas and his little names he called out to me. I knew his type; bad boy who chased all the girls, always getting into trouble, and always being thoughtless. My best bet would have been to not give him my number earlier and ran for the hills, but I just had to be nice like I usually am.

"Dad, I made some spaghetti for dinner tonight!" I yelled from the living room. "Alright honey" he said. I got up and made him a plate of food, hearing it up and bringing it to him as he relaxed in his chain. He still wore his mechanic jumpsuit , not bothering to take it off. Most nights when I returned home he would be laying in his signature lazy boy chair propped up in the corner of the living room, while some tv show played in the background.
I would kiss his forehead and place blanket over him before heading off to my own slumber.

"How was school Janet?" He asked, giving me a tired smile as he stuffed spaghetti into his mouth. "Good, I made a friend I think." I thought back to Ponyboy. I knew he was about two years younger than I was so it was weird to have someone so young as a friend. "That's great, who is she?" Dad asked, already making assumptions like he always does. Every friendship I've had has been all girls, and I was never really in any serious relationships because of guys like Dallas.
I made sure not to set the bar too high these days.

"It's he. His name is Ponyboy Curtis." I couldn't help but crack a smile at just saying his name alone. My father, on the other hand wasn't sure if he was more conflicted about his silly name or about the fact that I had a male friend.
"Do I even want to know? Should I bother asking?" The confusion in his voice lead me to explain everything to him, and after I did he was still very conflicted.
"As long as he's just a friend. You don't know what the boys are like here." I rolled my eyes and directed my attention to the wooden flooring. The house could use some cleaning, but life is far to busy to do a deep clean this moment.

My head rested against the arm of the chair, my brown eyes showily blinking into slumber as my father snores next to me still sat in his chair. Just before I started picturing scenarios in my head, the telephone blared from the next room.
"Let it ring..." my father said groggily before going back to snoring. I shook my head and picked myself off the couch.

"Hello?"I asked. Nobody had our new house phone number except grandparents, aunts and uncles, and Dallas. "Hey dolly" I sighed a little bit too loud into the phone, resting myself against the wall with the phone tucked into my shoulder.
"Dally, do you have any clue the time?" I questioned him, staring down to my watch, which hands pointed to 11:30pm.

"It's time for you to come hang with me." I scoffed. I never liked to be mean and I had a feeling he was catching into that, so I unfortunately agreed to see him. "Okay...can you come get me from my house?" If he couldn't come get me, then I wouldn't bother going with him at all.
"I guess I could doll, just tell me where about your at?" I told him my address and hung up the phone. I looked a little dishevelled so I rushed up the stairs to fix my make up a touch. I didn't wear much makeup other than mascara and blush so with that I ran back down stairs.