chapter six - undisclosed goodbye

ᥫ᭡。    

      ᥫ᭡。

PLACES like the diner we had stepped into were always the same. Cozy, welcoming, and gone unrecognized. I had seen places like this before and it was always some elder person running the place as well as a few employees rushing around bussing tables. The floor was a little more run down, the wallpaper and paints of the walls were certainly dated, and worn out booths lined back to back with no one to accompany them.

The clicking of my low heeled heels synced with the way of my hips pushing me closer and closer to the counter. The place had seemed so vacant I could have sworn if it had not been for the jukebox playing, you could have heard a pin drop.
"Let's not waste our time here, let's go." Dallas said very unamused with the lack in customer service.
"Now just wait a second" I said holding a hand up toward him to let it fall back to my side.

A small metal bell was sat just beside the cash register and once Dallas seen it, I couldn't seem to stop him from making a nuisance out of himself. He rang the bell again and again to the point where I swatted his hand away from it. Instantly, a man who seemed in his fourties', salt and pepper coloured hair with a thin moustache carried a clip board writing down something.
"You'd outta be careful not having someone on cash" Dally piped up, resting his hand on my shoulder. "Dallas, enough." I gave him a serious and stern stare, to where he reacted with a smirk and a laugh. Fixing my gaze back onto who I assumed was the diners owner I flashed a huge smile.
"Excuse him please sir, I'm wondering if you had an application to fill out?" I tapped my fingers against the wooden counter.
"You lookin to work here part time?" He questioned, his gazed still fixed on the clipboard as he intensively wrote.
"Yes, I'm willing to work anytime needed aswell" Dallas had wandered off at this point, sitting in a booth and smoking a cigarette which had hung loosely from his lips, staring directly at me with his eyes half lidded. You could have sworn he was three sheets to the wind if you initially saw him.

"Great, when could you start work?" He asked, now finally peeling his eyes from the clip board. A look of shock and confusion had spewed across my features.
"You're hirin' me just like that?" I said a little abruptly. He smiled and laughed.
"I don't suppose you see anyone else round' here." Fair point. I nodded and thanked him, making my way back over to Dallas slowly.

I leaned against the table and smiled, his expression didn't budge all too much. His eyes trailed up and down quickly before he motioned for me to sit across from him.
"I'm hired" he nodded finishing his cigarette, stubbing it out and putting it in his pocket.
"I'm starved" he sighed out, placing both his elbows atop of the table. Before I could say anything, the man came back over with an informational sheet and a pen.
"Besides filling this out, I've got another favour to ask you" I nodded my head, listening to him explain further.

"I think I've sat around here calling more numbers then tending to customers. I've got to work the night shift here tonight, and that's when this place gets busy. I need someone to look after my daughter while I'm out" I looked to Dallas briefly, then returned my gaze back. I had looked after my friend's siblings before while they went out to party at times so I was up for the task of taking care of another one with difference in circumstances.