chapter twelve - one big dysfunctional family

ᥫ᭡。

ᥫ᭡。

IT was around six o'clock when I made my way to the Curtis' house. I figured everyone was over there anyways so if I wanted to see Dallas, that was where he would be. My headache has suppressed and I finally had time to consider the consequences of last night. I couldn't make up anything past the time we went up stairs to his room. I knew for a fact that we had kissed, that we had danced, and the way he looked down onto me. Not the way he usually did with arrogance or annoyance, but with thought and care.
I wished he was there in the morning. I sure now that I needed to speak to him again, and have a real conversation. Not knowing who your best friend or who you considered your best friend was to you was something I couldn't take.

Everyone knew how close we were, it was facing the facts and addressing it that worried me. Dallas was the reckless type of person who did what he did for the thrill. So then every time he left after something got too serious, he needed something exciting and thrilling to get the previous thoughts out from his mind. He wasn't bitter to me like he was to everyone else because I was something he could come back to when things got difficult.
It made me scoff, I wondered what wasn't difficult about me. But perhaps how I was easy going, I had no thrill in my life and I had my priorities set straight. He needed someone like that to keep his feet on the ground.

I made living seem like there was more to it than waiting for the afterlife. He made living for me to take time and make sure you enjoy the thrills even through the worst of times. That was why I appreciated him the way that I did. Sure most called him careless, a hoodlum and maybe they are right, but I remember the ways he kept danger from me even when searching for it himself.

     Hollers and shouts erupted as I walked through the front door. Darry was taking his shoes off in front of me saying a polite hello and sitting on his chair beside the telephone. Soda pop and Steve were arm wrestling at the kitchen table, Pony and Two but sat on the floor infront of the Television watching mickey. Johnny wasn't to be seen anywhere which worried me a little, poor thing. And Dallas laid on the couch, his hands rested behind his head and his eyes shut.
     "Oh, sleepin' beauty!" I said making the others laugh. Without opening his eyes he reached his arms up and pulled me over the side of the couch.
     "Sleeping beauty who?!" His fingers began to tickle at my sides and my stomach. The two of us rolled off of the couch and onto the floor continuing our tickle fight. Everyone laughed at us making a fool of ourselves until finally me and Dallas called a truce.

     It was good that even after a serious occurrence of events takes place we could laugh it off and have a good time despite it all. I crawled back into the couch and Dallas did too, hanging an arm around my shoulder just like always.
     "How's that headache?" He teased.
     "Good, thanks to a couple of aspirin" The laughs of Two-bit sounded.
     "Bucks keeping you well fed with his drinks huh?" I rolled my eyes. I understood it was unusual for someone like me to drink, but the jokes and comments were getting old.