chater eight - true transparency

ᥫ᭡。    

      ᥫ᭡。

     ALL my father could talk about for the last week and a half was how all of my friends seemed to be guys and asking why I didn't want to date Sodapop although I explained four times that he's got a girl. I had been working a lot more since last week and honestly, I was making a pretty penny. Eventually, I had to tell my dad. Telling him I was going out every other day and then nights wasn't working anymore.

     I was worried he'd ground me but that was far from it. He was upset but he allowed me to keep the job, especially the babysitting job to help Jerry out. I've told Jerry to keep his money endless of times but he just hands it over like it's nothing. Every time I told him to at least lower it to 5$ he proceeded to gift me 10$ total every single time. Half the earnings I got I set into a jar that was hidden in my room to then give to my father as a surprise to help him pay off the little bit of debt that we did have. The rest I used for food, to blow on movies, at the diner, and at Bucks the odd time a party was thrown.

     The bruises around my face finally healed and now nothing was left but a little tiny scar. That was also something I had to explain to my father the day after it happened. He wasn't happy at all with any of it. He hated that I went there in the first place, that I didn't tell him, and that I drank a little bit. I think that whole story was the first time I told him about Dally and once I did the questions began. Who was he, was he my boyfriend, if he was friends with Steve and Sodapop and it went on and on after that.

     I explained what he had done for me and how he was pretty rough around the edges but I don't think he cared too much. He said he didn't want me picking up his habits, but if he was my friend and since he helped me he was alright with us being around each other, to which I nodded in agreement. After the talk, I hugged him and made my way to sleep.

Today was Saturday and usually I worked the morning to afternoon and then later went to watch Adeline, but that wasn't the plan today. Jerry had told me that someone else had started working at the diner now too so he would be switching around my schedule so he could train the new worker. I didn't mind it much so when I was tasked to watch Adeline for the day, I was very happy to do so. I always wished I had a little sister sometimes, so I really didn't mind spending the day with her.

     I made my way out the door of my home and locked the door behind me. before my feet could even take a step I was startled by whom was standing in front of me. I was very shocked that he was released this early, but his letter did say he would return soon. I had so many questions but I had to be somewhere and I didn't wanna be late. I didn't bother writing him back after receiving his letter, I would have but I didn't have the time to, or I suppose that was the excuse I told myself. I didn't know what to say honestly, and if I had known he wrote me, I would have known what to say back. It was just unexpected.

     "I'm back...did you miss me or think about me any?" At first, I thought he was joking but he wasn't. My expression went from jokingly, to an awkward smile and rosy red cheeks.
     "Sure I did...I've got lots of questions Dally, but I really gotta be somewhere right now." I felt a little remorse. I didn't like being mean to people unless it was Steve of course. I could barely be mean to Dallas as is but let's be honest, should I care all that much? I knew I did, I couldn't keep lying to myself over and over again.