Two Crows For Mirth

The sun comes up. It's bright, the morning sun pours into the windows. It's a horrible day out today. I do to the fencing room. My hear on and helmet in hand.

"Coach, coach, she tipped me!" His voice is annoying.

"It was a clear strike Rowan." And he can't face the fact that he sucks.

"Maybe if you whined less and practiced more you wouldn't suck." I take it back he's amazing. I could never side with Bianca. "Seriously, Coach, when am I going to get real competition? Anyone want to challenge me?"

Yes. "I do."

"Oh. You must be the psychopath they let in."

"You must be the self-appointed Queen Bee. Interesting thing about bees. Pull out their stinger, they drop dead."

"Rowan doesn't need you to come to his defense. He's helpless, not lazy."

"Are we doing this, or not?"

I win round one. She wins round two. She's decent. I'm just not used to this many colors in a fencing room. "For the final point, I would like to people a military challenge. No masks. No tips. Winner draws first blood."

There's some hesitation. Some probing goes on. "Let's see if you bleed in black and white." The fight continues. I almost get her a few times but the one time all day I almost blink, she hits my head with the tip of her sword. "Your face finally got that splash of color it so desperately needed."

I need to go to the infirmary to get a band-aid. At least it covers the red. The smell my blood gave off was a good one though. Irony. The bandage masks it.

The day finally got nice. I leave the infirmary, umbrella over my head. A gargoyle begins to fall from the beginning. At least I will have an imaginative death. Damn it.

"Welcome back." I'm back in the infirmary. The cloud went away. "Just take it easy. Nurse said you don't have a concussion, but you probably have a nasty bump, huh?"

"The last thing I remember I was walking outside feeling a mixture of rage, pity, and self-disgust. I never felt that way before." I look at him and realize I know him. Wednesday saved him. I told her to leave who ever was in there to die. "Then I looked up and saw that gargoyle coming down and I thought, 'at least I'll have an imaginative death.' Then you tackled me out of the way. Why?"

"Your sister saved me."

"I know. So why save me?"

"Consider it returning the favor. I bet she wouldn't want to lose her only sister."

"My parents could make another. Besides I didn't want to be rescued. Your guided latent chivalry, the tool of the patriarchy, will not win my undying gratitude." He exhales and walks away. I turn my head to look at the wall in front of me. I will leave when I please.

When I do exit I go to my room and go to write. Then I smell it. I go to my bed and pull back the covers. "I knew it." Thing is on my bed, shaking. "Hello, Thing." He tries to run, I catch him on the rail of my bed frame. "Did you think my highly trained olfactory sense wouldn't pick up on the faint whiff of neroli and bergamot in your favorite hand lotion?" He continues to squirm. "I could do this all day." I told him down on my desk rendering his ability to move. "Surrender?" He taps out. "Mother and Father sent you to come spy on me, didn't they?" He doesn't give me an answer. "You know I'm not above breaking a few fingers." He knows I would. I've done it before. "That they thought I wouldn't find out just proved how much they underestimate me." There's more tapping. "Oh, Thing, you poor naive appendage. My parents aren't worried about me. They're evil puppeteers who want to pull my strings even from afar." I pick up the hand. "The way I see it, you have two options. Option one." I open the drawer to my desk. "I lock you in here for the rest of the semester, and you go slowly insane trying to claw your way out, ruining your nails and smooth, supple skin. And we both know how vain you are." I place him back onto my desk. "Option two. You pledge your undying loyalty to me." He gets down on his fingers.