Chapter 3

Leonardo's POV

1995

The downside to a house this big is we aren't big enough to fill it yet. It feels lonely often, but we're hoping to fix that soon. I walk into the kitchen smelling something burning.

"Amanda, are you okay? Is something burning?" I ask.

"Yes there's a bun in the oven," she says. I pull out a burnt bun from the oven.

"Why was there a bun in the oven?"

"We have a bun in the oven." I stand there confused before it clicks.

"We're pregnant?!" I ask. She nods and I hug her. I'm so happy. 

I say that before the crazy starts. I feel bad being pregnant sucks. She has so many hormones to deal with and has to eat for two and I have to make sure she does, she has many appointments, and worse of all she feels sick. It's only the first trimester too. But we are about three days from the second. I really hope this one goes better.

—————

1996

The second trimester has been so much better. She's happy and has energy. I was getting nervous. My mom came over and helped a lot. She said she felt like she had to since Mandy's mom died from cancer about a month after our wedding. The poor thing was a mess. "I still think it's a boy," she says as we wait for the doctor. I really have no idea. "I can just feel it."

"Then I'll take your word for it," I say kissing her head.

"So sorry to keep you waiting we're a bit busy," the nurse says when she enters. She asks us a few questions as she puts on gloves. "This may be cold," she says as she puts the gel on Mandy's stomach. She moves around Mandy's stomach before letting us know we have a very healthy baby. "Would you like to know the gender?"

"Yes please," we both say and laugh at each other.

The nurse laughs, "You're having a boy."

"I knew it," Mandy says as I take the picture the nurse printed for us. After the doctors, we head to Lowe's to get the rest of the stuff for the nursery. We get home and set up the crib in our room then head upstairs. The con about not building this house is the layout isn't the best. The master is on the first floor while the other rooms are on the second. 

"Okay all ready for the paint," I say after laying down the plastic on the floor. Mandy works on painting the walls white to match the hallways and the downstairs while I work on an accent wall. We decided on a dark black wood. I work on each slab and by the time I have all the slabs on the wall and screwed tightly into place Mandy has done most of the walls. I work on the crib which is black to match the room and the the dresser where we will store Giovanni's stuff and change him. Mandy finishes the walls and sets up the bathroom and closet although it will be a bit before either is used often. Mandy puts his clothes in the closet while I work on a chair where we can rock him to sleep and sit. We decided along with black his room would have dark emerald green accents to show he's our gem in this world even though no one else will know the true reason behind the green.

"I think we did a great job," I say taking a look at our work.

"It's perfect just one thing," Mandy says touching my nose with paint on her finger.

"Oh, it's on," I say staring or paint wars. We laugh as we rub paint on each other making a mess, but that's what the plastic is for. After a while of goofing around we take a look at each other both covered in white.

"We still need to lay the rug," she says through laughs. 

"Okay." With that, we get rid of the plastic covered in white and place the green rug under his crib almost touching the dresser.