Chapter 16

Giovanni's POV

2014

The first day of school is today and what a relief it is not to have to go anymore. Matteo tried to convince me last night to let him stay home with me, but that went nowhere. I woke up at 5 and went to the gym. Vince, Nico, and Mat were there when I entered. It's become routine for us, even though we could stop since our father stopped showing up. At six I go upstairs to wake the twins and Bruno up. I take a quick shower, go downstairs, and start to make lunch. Nico makes breakfast. He loves to cook which is good with me because it helps me out.  

Once everyone eats we go to the front porch to take pictures. There were a few complaints, but we got it done.

"Bye have a good day," I say to Vince and Nico as they get in the car. One less stop now since Vince can drive. The rest get in the car after Mat and Ale stop fighting over the front. I'm gonna ban the front if they do this all year. I got to the middle school first dropping off Mat and then the elementary dropping off the rest. I head to the warehouse and get some work done. After a few hours, I go to the store to restock our pantry. I put everything away and grab my keys heading to pick everyone up. Once we get home I tell them to go study or play as I start dinner. Nico and Vince will be home later since football has started. They are both quite good at it, but it runs in the family. Once they get home they go to their rooms take a quick shower and when they finish dinner is ready. I went simple tonight making pesto pasta and chicken. 

----------

The first month of school has been a success. We have yet to be late, football is going well for high school and middle school, and I have only gotten one email from the school about Ale's behavior so far. I call it a win. Yesterday was my birthday and it was good to celebrate. I saw my father for the first time in two weeks. He had dinner with us gave me a gift and then left upstairs again. I haven't opened the gift and I don't plan it. I put it in a drawer in my nightstand for later.  

This week was another success, but now it starts all over. Monday evening I do the usual. I start on dinner while most do homework or take a break after school. I wait for Vince and Nico to get home. I hear footsteps enter the kitchen I turn surprised to see my father.

"Hello," I say. He says nothing back. Fine then. 

"I was looking through some files today and I saw you canceled the last two shipments," he finally speaks.

"Yes, and what is your point," I say with little respect. He lost that a few years ago.

"Watch your tone son."

"Don't try to parent me now. You gave up your authority and never tried to get it back," I say.

"You wouldn't be where you are today without my parenting and guidance."

"Some guidance you provided me. I have raised myself and my brothers for a bit now so don't give me your shitty excuses saying how good of a father you were," I say almost yelling.

"Where's your respect? If I was a shitty father I would've left years ago after she left, but I stayed for you all of you. I worked my ass off to balance your busy lives and mine without a single complaint. I worked so you could have a stable business," he yells back.

"You forced me to have this business maybe I want my own, maybe I wanna go to college or travel, but instead I'm here raising my siblings working the business I have been working since I was 14!" 

"You're so ungrateful!"

"Got that from you," I say just loud enough for him to hear.

"I'm so done. With you, with life, with trying to piece everything back together. I'm glad she left. I'm glad she was taken. I should've left with them. No one wanted you boys. If I'm a shitty father then why try and pretend to be one. Seems like I'm not good enough for you. Don't come crying back to me because life is too hard, or you need advice or help. You're one your own now!" He yells.