LMB 6

6: So I am immortal now!?

“A golden core.” Chan nodded, fingers on top of Jisung’s wrist, checking his meridians.

Jisung who thought the name golden core was for a sword came to know it wasn’t the actual scenario. Golden core, as Chan explained when Minho went on with his usual silent mode, was typically formed after a cultivator successfully passes through the initial stages of cultivation.

Cultivators with a golden core generally have increased longevity and enhanced physical and mystical abilities. The golden core acts as the primary source of a cultivator's power. It stores and refines their spiritual energy, allowing them to perform powerful techniques and spells.

“Brother.” Chan smiled at Jisung and Minho in reassurance.

“Exceptionally strong. You said you fought toe-to-toe?”

“Jisung’s skill was considerable.” Minho confirmed. If it wasn't for the fact that everything was turning upside down for Jisung, he would have celebrated and did a mini twerking at Minho’s praise.  

“I have a golden core?” He looked between the brothers, then to his own chest. Like he could feel something by staring. Mostly, he just felt normal. “Wait, could I become an immortal?”

“Technically, you are one already,” Chan said. “But only through continued cultivation does one take care of the golden core.”

“How is this possible? Our world doesn’t have immortals and monsters.”

Chan considered him. “You mentioned you have been practising sword forms from a young age?”

“Yeah, me and my brother. But that was, like, a hobby. We did it for fun. Madam-- ah, my foster mom, she hired us a teacher who practised traditional sword fighting.”

He considered how the man's nod of approval had made him feel good. In his early years, he had put in a lot of practice because he was a passionate, motivated learner, and possibly even a little prodigy.

There had never been any flying on swords or huge leaps or magic of any kind.

“I see.” There was the tiniest bit of frown on the elder’s face. “Well, my working theory is this; you have been practising traditional cultivation in a world with no spiritual energy. Your body adjusts appropriately to this world once you have crossed over.

Jisung nodded like he understood. He very specifically did not. “Right, anything else you want to tell me about my body that I don’t know about? Any weird birthmarks? Am I carrying a child?”

At the concerned silence of the brothers he laughed.

“Oh, come on, it’s kind of stupid. I am just a dude in Seoul studying business one day, and the next I am some kind of powerful immortal cultivator. I am allowed to be a little comical about it."

Chan smiled gently. “Master Jisung..”

“A child,” said Minho. “Is that a real concern?”

It took him a moment to understand.

“What, pregnancy?” Jisung snorted. “Minho! Do I not look like a man to you?”

With bright red ears Minho replied, "You have told me a lot of absurd things about where you are from."

“Oh my god.” Without being able to look at Minho's scrunched-up, ashamed face, Jisung fell flat with laughter. “Oh my god, Minho! It was a joke! I can’t have kids! I mean, not like that, hahaha!”

Minho released a breath that, to most, would have been taken as an insult, but to Minho, it sounded more like the tiniest little exhale. Chan shook his head.