24 - I'm Only Me When I'm With You

The flight was long and annoying. I napped, showered, did my make up and got ready to be presentable. I knew I would be arriving at the airport to a waiting car which would take me directly to the Evans household since I knew that's where they all would be.

I was supposed to be 20 minutes ago but there was a delay in taking off. Chris had been calling and was getting worried. Hollie finally answered when he called as I was getting ready and said we were on our way and then the call cut out.

The plane landed and thankful for the miscommunication on travel there wasn't anyone waiting for a picture at the airport and I was able to get in the car unnoticed and unseen. As I was riding to the Evans house my cellphone went off with the one song edited and sounding perfect.

"You going to play it for him?" Hollie asked and I nodded.

"I have a plan for it though so I cant wait. Are you coming with me?" I asked and Hollie smiled with a nod.

"Yeah. Chris invited me the other day saying he knew I would be with you." Hollie said and I smiled at her.

"Good, we'll have fun." I said and she nodded.

"Also I got the info for the launch party, how many people are you bringing?" Hollie asked and I sighed.

"Hold that thought, I need to see if someone wants to be my date but for sure invite Chad, he will love to hear the new stuff." I said and Hollie nodded.

As we approached the Evans house I pulled Scott's gift from the bag it was in and put it on my head.

"Are you sure he will find this funny?" She asked and I nodded.

"Yes, trust me, it's Scott." I said and she laughed as we arrived, the driver got our bags for us which we would work out where everyone was staying soon. We walked up to the front door at Lisa's and I knew they would be in the backyard so I opened the front door, set the bags right inside the door and then we walked around to the backyard. Before I could get around the house I heard Scott and Chris talking.

"So, is she even making it?" Scott asked sounding upset.

"She said she wanted to be here for your birthday, but something happened with the new album." Chris answered and I smiled and looked at Hollie. She was going to record on my phone walking out from the shadows.

🎵 Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Birthday Bestie Scott!
Happy Birthday to you!🎵

I sang and everyone turned to look at me. Scott got excited and rushed over to me and hugged me. Once we broke apart, he looked at the bow on my head.

"What's with the bow?"

"I'm your gift, duh!" I said and he laughed hysterically and hugged me again as he took the bow from my head. Finally, he left me go and I hugged all the over Evans family and even my own parents who were there. Chris was last and he wrapped me in a hug huge.

"God, I want to kiss you so bad..." He whispered in my ear.

"Soon, once we tell everyone which I have a way to do it. Do you trust me?" I asked and Chris nodded.

"Of course I do." Chris said and we broke apart.

"Scott was worried you weren't going to show up." Lisa said and I sighed looking at him.

"So, I had to add some bonus songs to the album. Since that song was posed to my social media a little bit ago the fans were in an uproar, so we are adding it as a bonus track, and I added 4 more songs." I explained.

"So, we get more songs?!" Scott got excited.

"Yep, you excited?!" I smiled and he nodded vigorously.

"Well, if you guys want, I can play one for you right now. I wrote it the other day and it's about someone here..." I said and snuck a look at Chris beside me.

"YES PLEASE!" Scott begged. Chris helped me connect my phone to the speakers that were set up outside and I heard the music start playing:

🎵 Friday night beneath the stars
In a field behind your yard
You and I are painting pictures in the sky
And sometimes we don't say a thing
Just listen to the crickets sing
Everything I need is right here by my side
And I know everything about you
I don't wanna live without you
I'm only up when you're not down
Don't wanna fly if you're still on the ground
It's like no matter what I do
Well, you drive me crazy half the time
The other half I'm only trying to
Let you know that what I feel is true
And I'm only me when I'm with you
Just a small town boy and girl
Living in a crazy world
Tryin' to figure out what is and isn't true
And I don't try to hide my tears
The secrets, or my deepest fears
Through it all nobody gets me like you do
And you know everything about me
You say that you can't live without me
I'm only up when you're not down
Don't wanna fly if you're still on the ground
It's like no matter what I do
Well, you drive me crazy half the time
The other half I'm only trying to
Let you know that what I feel is true
And I'm only me when I'm with you
When I'm with anybody else
It's so hard to be myself
Only you can tell
That I'm only up when you're not down
Don't wanna fly if you're still on the ground
It's like no matter what I do
Well, you drive me crazy half the time
The other half I'm only trying to
Let you know that what I feel is true
And I'm only me, who I wanna be
Well, I'm only me when I'm with you
With you, oh yeah🎵

Once I finished, I was smiling at Chris, he cupped my face and passionately kissed me not even caring anymore. The entire party went silent, and everyone was just looking at us. Once we broke apart Chris wrapped me in his arms, and we looked at everyone.

"Oh yeah, um...we're together." I said and everyone freaked out.

"Since when?!" Lisa asked coming over to us.

"A month now. We were just keeping it between us as long as we could but now that we are here, and I wrote the song after we got back together it just seemed perfect to announce it now." I explained.

"Well, we are happy for you two. We knew you would find your way back to each other." Thomas, my dad said, and I nodded and looked at Chris.

"We just had to work past everything and realize we were adults now. It's time we put the past behind us and move forward and we realized moving forward we just wanted each other." Chris explained.

"Well, I must say we are happy you two figured this out but Chris, I swear to god, you hurt her again, I will kill you." Lisa said and I laughed.

"And we are right behind her." Martha, my mom said.

I then looked at Chris, "They're serious." I said.

"Don't worry guys, I don't plan on hurting her again." Chris said and looked down at me. "I told you this already, but I promise it to you. I'm only me when I'm with you and I will never hurt you." Chris said leaning in to passionately kiss me and everyone hooted and hollered. We broke apart and smiled at everyone.