ƬΉΣ 𝐁ΣNƬO

The Next Day 5/24/09"𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐤 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐢𝐠𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 [𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐍𝐚𝐦𝐞]

The Next Day
5/24/09
"𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐤 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐢𝐠𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 [𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐍𝐚𝐦𝐞]."

        Mr. Yamamoto, now your former boss, lifted his wooden-sealed 'Hanko' with a steady yet heavy hand. With firm precision, he pressed the red ink into a small vertical calligraphed circle, leaving behind a stamp of authorization on your resignation papers.

        Whilst he placed the Hanko back into its place, he then gathered your papers and slipped them into a file and settled his ovular framed glasses a notch back into its nesting place at the top of his subtly bumped nose. With that, he rose from his chair, a smile gleaned from his ashen cheeks. Afterall Mr. Yamamoto's constant sense of positivity always impressed you. "You've done excellent work here, [Your Name]. Your dedication and creativity have wowed us this past year."

That small comment flickered a fine light of dopamine rush to through your face. "Thank you, Mr. Yamamoto. I've learned so much working here."  You returned.

         He nodded and led you toward the door. "I have no doubt you'll excel in your new role. Remember to stay in touch. We'll miss your water cooler chit-chat and your homemade bento." As he poked momentarily fun you couldn't suppress the chuckle that soon escaped your lips.

"Oh-- Those? It was just a little something." you replied in banter, now standing one-on-one at the door.

"Well then." You initiated a respectful 45-degree angle bow, in a final gesture of thanks. Upon bowing, the tip of your nose poked at the cardboard box's rough edges. With that brief glance into its hollow inside, piled on top of each other was the scramble of personal items and supplies from your cubicle.  In that quick peek, among them, was a small picture frame that captured a memory of your first day on the job, surrounded by peers, with a thumbs-up sign held high.

Once you stood upright, a tinge of longing crept in. "I'll really miss this place," you thought to yourself in that fleeting moment, just before walking through the door that Yamamoto held open for you. To your surprise there were 3 familiar faces standing on the other side for you to bid you farewell.

Aya, Kenji and Nana gathered there, your workmates and people you'd consider trustworthy outside of the job stood there in anticipation.

"I'm going to miss you guys," you managed, forcing a smile as you moved to hug Aya and Nana with a side embrace. Meanwhile Kenji, being the guy, he stood off to the side.

"We're going to miss you even more, [Your Name]." Nana tugged your head toward the collar of her sweater as she twirled your braid with her finger in a tease.

"Aha! And~ Make sure to text us what you think of your new gig!" Aya added, pulling back with a smile before bowing her head, followed by a giggle.

   "Bet, but you have to promise me," you eagerly nodded, matching her playful tone. "That you won't forget about our bento." You winked and paused theoretically. "I, [Your Name], proclaim, Oshima Ayako as the new successor of the Monthly Bento tradition." With your pointer finger raised as if announcing a national holiday, you both cracked out in small laughter.

"Okay, okay, now it's my turn!" Kenji interjected once he got the chance.

"Alright, alright," you mocked in his tone while your eyes wavered to the dark gift bag he held toward you. You hesitated to accept the bag, as you were delightfully surprised once again.

"I couldn't let you leave without a little something," With a mischievous glint in his eye he said, handing it to you. Upon grasping the ribbon handles the three of them smiled and watched you closely like the rising action of a soap opera.

  "C'mon open it, it's really good!" Nana encouraged you to open it on the spot, so you yanked the striped tissue paper from the bag and shut your eyes tight as you pulled out the first item. "Ooouh? What could this be?" Amongst feeling the buttons in your hand and the matte finishing brush smoothly against your finger pads. "Dude what is this..seriously." You opened your eyes and looked down. "Effect pedals?!" Each pedal boasted a compact yet sturdy design, with knobs and switches arranged in an intricate array like the controls of a spaceship.

"Yup..!" Aya cluelessly nodded being the only one who didn't know what it did.

Kenji and Nana glanced back at each other and grinned, clearly pleased with your reaction. "I figured they'd come in handy for your music."

"But wait, there's more," Nana and Aya chimed in, pointing towards the bag that was thrown on the tiled lobby floor.

"Okay, if you say so," you replied, peering inside, between the shriveled tissue paper was a piece of fabric lying on the bottom "Is that... Toshimitsu Deyama's face plastered over swim trunks?" you exclaimed, laughing.

Kenji chuckled sheepishly. "We thought it would be a funny gag gift."

You couldn't stop laughing, touched by their thoughtfulness.