Crash Course

"hey" Brooke sits up a bit when Sergeant Grey enters her hospital room.

"so, internal bleeding?" Sergeant Grey starts.

"yeah, the hours from midnight to 2 am were interesting, sir" Brooke answers.

"I'm sure, the nurse found you vomiting up blood" Sergeant Grey nods.

"it's not the worst thing I've vomited up" Brooke jokes, but Sergeant Grey gives her a look "sorry, sir"

"with this new development, you obviously won't be leaving the hospital for another day or two" Grey continues. "so I wanted to ask who you wanted to train Nolan in the meantime."

"Talia" Brooke answers, immediately.

Sergeant Grey raises an eyebrow "Dockery, you are aware that she was this close to getting the TO position over you, right?"

"I'm aware, sir" Brooke nods. "but she deserves it"

"is this your way of trying to get back on Talia's good side?" Sergeant Grey asks.

"... maybe" Brooke murmurs.

"you know, Tim chose someone who would be a good test for Chen" Sergeant Grey says.

"that's a very Tim thing to do" Brooke smiles, not getting the hint Sergeant Grey is sending her way.

"it is" Sergeant Grey nods.

There's a silence for a few moments before Brooke decides "um, so Talia, please"

"you don't want someone to challenge Nolan?" Grey raises an eyebrow.

"I choose Talia" Brooke insists.

"alright then" Grey sighs, moving to leave.

"wait, sir, how is Tim?" Brooke asks.

"he's pretty mad at you at the moment" Grey answers.

"wait, why?" Brooke says, starting to panic a little bit.

"he doesn't like that you lied to me about why you're in that hospital bed" Grey responds.

"he told you?" Brooke murmurs, her eyes widening.

"he did, said that you were probably cover Nolan's ass for his entire rookie year" Grey answers.

"n-no, sir, I-I made this like three strike system, that I would cover him for his first three major mistakes, a-and that was strike one" Brooke explains, hesitantly.

"I see" Grey nods.

"what do you think, sir?" Brooke asks.

"you're the training officer, you decide how to train your rookie" Grey answers, before leaving the room.

Brooke bites her lip, hiding a smile. She heard the reluctant approval in Sergeant Grey's voice.

[Time Skip]

Brooke is reading Congo in her hospital bed. Angela brought it for her along with several other things for her. It seems Angela still believes the lie Brooke said and is the only one of her superiors not mad at her at the moment.

Brooke felt guilty when Angela praised her for being selfless enough to send Nolan to Tim and Lucy, but Brooke didn't have the heart to tell Angela about her little white lie. 

However, Brooke is pushing all of those thoughts to the side by reading about the Lost City of Zinj. Brooke is deep within in her book when there's a knock at her hospital room door.

"come in" Brooke calls, putting her book down.

Jeremiah, Micah, and their mom, Cassie, enter the room.