4. Not just a smart fox

Crypt soon got better from her depression with the help of Loki and the Avenger's cooking. She did wonder who or what the non-human had lost to be able to relate so much to her grief but she didn't have anyway of communication that wouldn't jeopardise her.

So instead of exploring all the thoughts about hiding her identity running around inside her head Crypt decided to be as useful as possible so when the time would come when she would slip up of Fury would of had enough of her, they would want her to stay.

Hawkeye or Clint was his other name was making breakfast. He had a waffle iron on top of the stove and mixing batter in a bowl. Clint then looked back at the recipe, "vanilla extract" he said as he began to hunt for it. Crypt hopped onto the counter top opened one of the cupboards. She had seen in next to the maple syrup when Natasha cooked pancakes. It was a small black vile with had a yellow label on it. Crypt picked it up in her jaws and carried it to where Clint was still searching.

When he saw her, he was about to order her off the work surface but then he saw the vanilla extract and he took it. He gave her a cautious scratch under the chin as what just happened processed in his mind.

Crypt turned around and froze as she saw the whole group including Loki watching her. Oh no. Natasha, Bruce and Thor approached her and she began to snarl. What were they about to do? Natasha got closer and Crypt hissed and growled some more. What was happening? As Natasha got closer she backed herself up into a corner on the work surface.

"You're not a normal fox are you?" she asked like it was something that happened everyday. Thor tried to calm her but it wasn't doing much. Crypt had her ears flat against her head, any sudden movements and she would bolt.

Could Snow understand what Nat said? When Clint had wanted vanilla extract she had known exactly what it was. She must be able to understand and she must know that Fury will have to know, that is why she is so scared, she understands what it happening.

"Fury doesn't have to know for another week and a bit and I don't intend to tell him any sooner" she said with her hand outstretched in a non-threatening manner. Eventually Snow stopped growling and left the corner she had huddled in and sniffed her hand before giving it a quick lick.

Once back on the floor, Crypt sat down in front of the Avengers, she had done whatever she wanted for too long, she had to prove, to herself and the others, that she could take orders. Loki seemed to understand what she was thinking and moved around the group to stand before her. "Bruce couldn't find his slippers this morning, could you help?" he said in an almost monotone to keep the curiosity out.

Crypt had seen them down the back of the washing machine the other day so she trotted off with her tail swishing to find them. A minute later she came back the the soft shoes in her mouth and placed them in front of the group.

"She understands" Thor said.