Chapter Nine

"Uhhh... well, uh... Then, then why isn't he here then? Hm?" Adam says while giving her a bored look. "Yeah, why isn't he here?" Emily looks at Sera then at me quickly before turning her attention back to Charlie.

The angels observing the court all murmur together as well. "Wait... none of you know what gets someone into Heaven?" Charlie asks, shocked.

Sera speaks up abruptly. "This questioning stops now. We know when a soul arrives, we know when they pass divine judgment, it is our job to ensure these souls are safe."

I roll my eyes. That answer was complete bullshit and anyone paying attention would know that immediately.

Emily speaks up again not wanting to end this topic. "But she was right, Sera. She showed us that a soul can improve."

She then flies up away from her seat and replays the scene of Angel defying Valentino. "He saw the light, Sera. Checked all the boxes that you said would Prove a person deserves a second chance."

I grimace as she takes the orb into her hands and flies over to the rest of the court with it.

"Now we turn our backs, no second glance?" She says with a sad expression. "It's not as simple as you think, Emi." I say to her from across the room.

She turns to look at me before Sera speaks next. "Not everything is spelled in ink." Emily flies back up to Sera, who takes her hands.

Charlie then speaks and I notice that Vaggie is back now. "It's not fair, Sera." Vaggie steps forward and puts a hand on Charlie's shoulder.

"Careful, Charlie, keep a cool head." Charlie pulls away and looks at Sera. "No! Don't you care, Sera? That just because someone is dead it doesn't mean they can't resolve to change their ways."

The orb flies back down to the center and begins to show multiple images of Angel and the others.

Sera sighs as she keeps her eyes on Emily. "I'm sure you wish it could be so but there's a lot that you don't know."

Lute lets out a loud groan next to me. "What are we even talkin' about? Some crack-whore who fucked up already?" Adam snickers as I try to calm her down.

She ignores my attempts and continues to snarl at Charlie. "He blew his shot, like the cocks in his mouth." Adam snickers even more at that comment and I hit him in the arm.

"Grow up." I say under my breath towards him, giving Lute the chance to stand up and put her Exorcist mask on.

"This discussion is becoming senseless and petty." I groan out, getting annoyed with everyone.

Adam and Lute fly up in front of Charlie, before flying over to and landing on the orb. "There's no question to be posed, he's unholy, case closed. Did you forget that "Hell is forever"?" Adam and lute say in sync together.

Adam then continues to talk, adding onto what they already said. "A man only lives once we'll see you in one month."

He then flies off of the orb and gets closer to Charlie, who briefly turns into her full demon form. "Gotta say, I can't wait to..."

My eyes widen as I know what he's going to say next. I glance towards Emily's confused face and I feel my heart twist for her.

"Adam." I say in a low growl as I fly down next to him and grip his shoulder roughly. Emily can't find out about the exterminations.

He just shrugs off my grip and I can't think of anything else to do before he finishes speaking. "Come down and exterminate you!"

"Wait!" Emily calls out, surprised. Adam curses as he finally remembers she's also here and just heard him.