Chapter Ten

I head to my office right away and see Adam leaving from there. I raise an eyebrow at him. "What were you doing?" I ask.

Adam turns to look at me with a smirk. "Just delivering you some paperwork that needs to get signed and filed before the extermination."

I let out a sigh. "Of course." I deflate with the idea of how many papers he just piled on my desk.

He chuckles. "Looks like you'll be busy for a while." He says with amusement. I walk past him to get inside my office.

"Oh, and (Y/N)?" Adam says, stopping me in my tracks. I turn slightly, my hand still on the doorknob. "Yes Adam?"

He walks closer to me, getting in my face slightly. "I suggest you don't try to get in the way of the extermination."

"I was hoping sending you down to that stupid hotel wouldn't be a bad idea but unfortunately it seems like it was." He adds as I begin to glare up at him.

Adam leans even closer to me, towering over me. "You're letting emotions cloud your judgment. You need to remember where your loyalties lie." He says in a menacing tone.

He walked away before I could even utter a word. After a moment I walk into my office, closing the door quickly behind me.

The weight of the situation crashes down on me as soon as I hear the door click and I slump against the door, burying my face in my hands.

"What the hell am I supposed to do?" I mutter out trying to hold back tears. The silence of the office only amplifies the weight of my thoughts as I lean my head back against the door.

What the hell were you supposed to do about this situation? I couldn't help Charlie, I don't even know where my loyalties lie anymore, and who the fuck knows what's going on between Lucifer and I.

The room is silent, save for the hushed breaths I took in order to calm myself down. I felt the familiar twinge of pain in my forehead at all of this stress.

The pain in my head only served as a reminder of the stressful situation I was in. "Just calm down." I muttered softly to myself.

I took deep breaths, trying to calm myself down and ease the pain in my head. I eventually level out but feel absolutely exhausted.

The sight of the towering stack of paperwork looming over me only serves to increase my exhaustion and frustration as I look up and notice it.

"Ugh.." I let out in annoyance as I push myself up from the floor and make my way over to my desk.

I drag myself over to my desk and sink into my chair, staring at the intimidating pile of paperwork.

─── ☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚ ───

Over the last couple of days I've been alternating between doing paperwork and sleeping. That's all. The stress has made me so exhausted to the point that's all I can manage.

I haven't heard anything from Charlie or Lucifer. I have absolutely no clue what's going on down there and I feel so bad that I couldn't do more to help.

I sat at my desk for what seemed like hours, poring over paperwork and forms. The silence was heavy, broken only by the sound of rustling paper and the occasional sigh.

The last sigh I let out is a more relieved one as I have finished the last few bits of paperwork.

Finally, the last page was signed and the last file was filed away. I leaned back in my chair, feeling a weight lift off my shoulders.

The relief doesn't last long when I realize I have nothing to occupy my mind now. Nothing to distract me from the extermination happening tomorrow.

The thought of the extermination looming over me once again surfaced in my mind, bringing with it a wave of anxiety.

I fidgeted with my hands, trying to distract myself, but the fear and uncertainty remained.

I tapped my fingers nervously on the desk, trying to distract myself from the anxiety building up inside me. But it was futile. The fear and uncertainty kept creeping in, no matter how hard I tried to push it away.

The one thing that does distract me however is how loudly my door just slammed closed. I look up and see Lucifer pressed against it as he lets out a large breath.

He ran a hand through his hair, ruffling it as he tried to compose himself. "Almost got caught." He says breathlessly while giving me a toothy grin.

I just stare at him for a moment before my eyes start to water. His smile falters as he notices my eyes start to well up with tears.

"Hey-" he starts to say as he approaches me, concern etched on his face. "I'm so sorry. I wish I could have done more. I feel absolutely horrible. I want to help but I don't know what to do. I don't want anything to happen to the hotel." I blurt out fast while covering my face.

He stands in front of me, his concern growing as he hears the pain and desperation in my voice.

"Hey, hey-" he gently pries my hands away from my face, forcing me to look at him. "Breathe." He says softly, his thumb wiping away a stray tear that had escaped.

"And I'm so confused about what we are. And I don't know where my loyalties lie, and I'm so tired of everything." I continue to rant between tears.

Lucifer's heart aches as he watches me come undone before him. He wraps his arms around me, pulling me close and burying my face in his chest.

"Shh, it's okay, it's okay," he murmurs soothingly as he rubs circles on my back. "Just breathe, okay? Inhale... exhale... that's it."

I continue to cry as I grip onto him. My wings folded around his embrace. After a while I begin to calm down and stop crying.

When I finally calm down, he pulls back slightly to look at me, his thumb caressing my cheek. "Better?" He asks softly, wiping away the remaining tears.

"No." I say with a small smile. He chuckles softly, the sound mixing with a sad sigh as he brushes a strand of hair away from my face.

"Yeah, didn't think so." He cups my face in his hand, his thumb gently stroking my cheek. "I'm sorry." He whispers, his voice laced with guilt.

"Why are you apologizing?" I look up at him confused. He lets out a humorless chuckle as he brushes my hair behind my ear.

"For everything. For the situation we're in, for my part in all this, for the stress you're under." He says softly, his thumb caressing my cheekbone. "I hate seeing you like this."

I sniffle slightly. "It's not your fault. We all had a part in this." I sigh. He leans his forehead against mine, closing his eyes for a moment.

"Maybe. But I still feel responsible." He opens his eyes and pulls back slightly to look at me. "You're exhausted. Have you slept at all?"

"Eh, kind of. I had a shit load of paperwork to get through the past few days." I grimace. He frowns as he hears the exhaustion in my voice.

"You've been working yourself too hard." He brushes my hair away from my face again. "You need to rest."

"Overworking myself was a great distraction though." He chuckles softly, but it's tinged with sadness.

"I suppose, but it's not healthy." He gently cups my face in his hands, tilting my head up so I'm looking at him. "You need to take care of yourself, love."

"I know." I sigh while avoiding his eyes. He frowns at my avoidance, noticing the exhaustion in my demeanor, the exhaustion causing tension to linger in your body.