Chapter 13

When I got back to my apartment, I just wanted this day to end.

Emma had closed the shop while I met with Laura and had messaged me telling me that someone had dropped something off while I was out and that she put it inside my apartment.

When I opened the door, it was something I wasn't expecting.

It was a parcel, and once I was comfortable with a cup of tea, I opened it up and stared at what was inside with confusion.

Inside was a phone, with a note attached to it on a pink stick that said ‘use me’.

Who the hell would send me this? Was this some kind of sick joke?

When I tried to think of who would do this, nobody came to mind, nobody I knew was this weird, but then it dawned on me that someone I did know was weird, if not the ghosting type.

Nicholas, but why?

I turned the phone on and saw that there was a text message, and once I clicked on the text, I could feel my insides twisting uncomfortably, the same way it did when I saw Nicholas with his new girlfriend.

Unknown:  Charlie, I really need to talk to you, it's importantI can't discuss it openly due to personal reasons.
Can you meet me at the hotel XXX tomorrow at 12? I will explain everything.
I know how you must feel about me, but I will
wait for you for as long as it takes.
I miss you, and want to explain myself.
Nicholas.

What the fuck was this?

After two weeks he acts like I don't exist, and then when he sees me with someone else, he sends me this?

Was this a sick joke he was playing on me?

If he thought I would meet him, he was out of his damn mind, even if something was happening between us before, there was nothing between us anymore.

We were practically strangers now, and whatever was going on with him, didn't involve me.

The claims that Nicholas was a sex addict and his new girlfriend… It was just drama waiting to happen.

Drama I didn't want or need in my life right now.

I delete the text, turn my phone off, and then wrap the box back up with the phone on it to return it to the sender in the morning.

Nicholas would be waiting a long time, because I won't be going.

*****

It's been two days since the package with the phone came, and since then, things have slowly gone back to normal.

The bakery was doing well, because of rumours that it was ‘Prince Nicholas's favourite shop’.

Emma even suggested we use that to our advantage and do royal cookies with the UK flag on, and since then they've been a hit with tourists and locals.

The news had also died down with Nicholas and his girlfriend, so much so that he hadn't been spotted since that day in the park where we saw each other.

Things were normal, and even though the text message he sent on that damn phone made me seething mad, I dropped it and moved on, after all, he had dropped me just as fast, so why could I do the same back to him?