Chapter 11

It's been two weeks since Nicholas and I spoke, and since then, I had forgotten all about how it felt to be someone important to him.

Was I really important though? I hardly doubt it after these past two weeks.

I was confused, hurt and somewhat distraught over the entire thing. 

I went over that night in my head perhaps a thousand times, and not once could I find a reason why he just up and left.

Was it because he would be my first? If we did have sex? 

Or was it simply because there was something or someone… which I would only find out a few days ago, that it might be the reason why he left.

Nicholas was seeing someone, a woman, but not just any woman, THE woman.

Clara De Lucie, the next Queen of England, or so some people like to think.

It felt like a punch to the gut as I saw him walk her around hand in hand for the media and the world to see, with the same eyes on her that he'd use to look at me.

He looked happy and in love.

So then why did I feel so miserable?

I believed him when he said he loved me, and that it was at first sight for him, but he disappears and doesn't tell me why?

He might as well be a forgotten memory at this point, and good riddance.

“You look… well.” Emma says, coming to stand next to me.

I smiled at her and saw from the corner of my eye that one of her friends was coming through the bakery door.

“I’m fine, just you know, being in your thirties.” I joked whilst she rolled her eyes.

“Fine, don't tell me.” She sighed, before turning to her friend and smiling.

“Sarah, tell Charlie he needs to live a little, and that he's wasted being stuck in here all day and night.” Emma says to her friend, as I shake my head and continue to tidy up.

“Leave him alone, maybe he likes being alone.” Her friend Sarah says, as I try to ignore the both of them.

“Nobody likes being alone.” Emma sighed, leaning against the counter.

“I keep telling him to ask out Ebony or Laura, either one would die to go out with him.” 

Sarah chuckles. “She's right Charlie, they're both really nice and it's a waste to not get out there.”

“You're a total catch, and you really deserve some ‘me’ time.”

I turned around and forced a smile, but deep down, all I thought about was that even if I did go on a date, they'd up and leave me too, just like all the rest.

“We'll see.” I shrug, as both of them grin.

“You should go for it, you have what- a week's vacation coming up?” Emma nudges me, as I rub the back of my neck.

Why were they pressuring me this much? Did I really look that lonely?

Even more so, I knew they had a point, I had been single forever, and hadn't had a relationship that didn't last more than a few months.

Would it be so bad, if I did go on a date? It wasn't like I was seeing anyone, not anymore…

“Alright.” I sighed. “Uh, what was her name called again?” I asked Emma, who was already on her phone and finding her details.

“Laura, she's totally perfect for you!” She showed me her phone, with a picture of a girl with blonde hair, and blue eyes.

She was pretty, if not beautiful, and the more I looked at her photo, the more I found it hard to believe that she was even remotely interested in someone like me.