Desperate Defense

We go straight to the combat!...

Yes... yes, I know. Don't judge me!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1st of January, 1942

0500 hours (local time)

Eastern Siberia, Vladivostok shores

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vladivostok is the easternmost port in Siberia. It is the largest city in Primorsky Krai, Russia. It is on the Sea of Japan, covering 331.16 square kilometers (127.86 square miles). Since the Amur Annexation, it has become a vital point on the North-Eastern Pacific coast of the Northern Parliament. It keeps trade routes open, except in December and January due the frozen seas, between the Dragon Empery, Sakura Empire, and Eagle Union.

Since the Sirens appeared and started attacking, Vladivostok has seen a lot of fighting, raiding, and bombing. This time it's different, but with one change.

The Sirens want to stay.

Already combat is holding up for tens of hours, with shells and laser fire flying left and right, hitting, and killing anything and anyone in their way. Many of the civilians, who hadn't left with the Trans-Siberian Railway, are sheltering as best as they could in safety, though said safety is crumbling down onto them as the Sirens were relentlessly attacking the suburban districts.

The most horrifying thing the Russian soldiers had to learn was that they were now involved in much more than just lobbing artillery shells at them. Alien foot mobiles with metal spiders on their turrets are attacking the entire coastline. The death toll of civilians and garrisoned soldiers is already in the tens of thousands.

On the sea, the situation was bleak, though not entirely one-sided. Vladivostok wasn't known for having the most advanced ships stationed here, as it was far from any functional and large dry docks, unlike the ports on the Baltic and Black Seas. Here in the Asian Theather, the ships are only a token force, and their effectiveness is inferior to even the Dragon Empire's ships.

There is only one Kansen stationed here, and she is not having a good time. With the loss of her commander and the highest-ranking person in the entire Pacific Fleet, she can only hear the desperate cries for help from the personnel aboard the torpedo boats and second-class cruisers as they are slowly but surely cut down one by one.

Murmansk, formerly known as Milwaukee, an Omaha light cruiser of the Eagle Union Navy, was loaned by her former government to help ease the burden of the weakened "Imperial" Russian Navy. She was sent as a modern cruiser to help the current Pacific Navy fill in the gaps left by obsolete ships and decommissioned flotillas.

Had she known that her last days on this planet would be filled with despair, strife and suffering, she should have scuttled into the void to be brought here. Now it is too late to think about how to stop the massacre on land and sea from continuing.

How? It doesn't matter, so long as it takes more than a month for reinforcements to arrive. The nearest Russian ships would take more than a few months to arrive, and that's if they weren't intercepted on their way here.

"Fish dropped we turn back- AGH!"

"Cyka Blyat-"

"Oh Mother-"

"URA-"

"We will prevail, we are the greate-"

"Re-Retreat- ARGH!"

One by one, either a torpedo boat, an armed fishing vessel, a patrol boat, or a second-class cruiser is sent to the cold bottom of the Sea of Japan. No survivors each time. The Murmansk bites her lips and holds back tears because she can't help the young sailors. At the moment, she is trying to sink numerous Queens and Rooks while dodging Assassins left and right.