Chapter 8

Katrina had to give it to Toretto. He knew how to play a good game. He knew they had God's Eye and would be coming after them, so, he wanted to give his team a home-court advantage. Which is how they ended up racing down the streets of Los Angeles – well, how she and Deckard did. Toretto's team may have a home-court advantage, but Jakande was smart enough to take their advice about not racing them.

So when Letty asked how many cars were coming after them, they weren't really prepared for an answer.

The helicopter flew over the city streets as God's Eye was booted up to hunt them.

It found Toretto first and Katrina's heart was in her throat as Jakande's men placed him at Hill and Seventh. She looked out her window where her husband was driving beside her. And he gave her a final glance as he pulled out his earpiece and peeled off, heading after Toretto.

Meanwhile, she took a deep breath as she calmed her nerves. She was a professional, she couldn't let her emotions get in the way of her job.

The Predator, Jakadae's attack drone, had just sent a missile to destroy the blue GTR that Ramsey and Brian had been in when she rounded the corner. Her Audi reached Third and Spring just in time to watch Ramsey jump from window to window of a moving car.

As the GTR went up in flames, Katrina jerked her wheel to the right and spun her car around. "You missed," she said.

"What?" came Jakande's voice over her comms.

"Ramsey's alive. I'm in pursuit. Check God's Eye if you don't believe me."

"Dammit!" he swore, and she assumed that her words had proved true. "No survivors!"

"Copy that," she returned as she rolled down her window and picked up the gun she had waiting on her passenger seat. Bullets flew from the muzzle as the back windscreen of Roman's car shattered.

"Get down!" Tej's voice yelled as they ducked, the car swerving slightly as Roman tried to avoid being shot and avoid the bullets, but he was no match for her.

"Shit!" Roman swore.

"Brian!" Tej screamed, likely into his walkie. "They took out the tower! And Katrina's on our asses! We need backup!"

"No one's coming to save you!" Katarina shouted as she rear-ended the car. She could hear Ramsey scream from the front seat as the car jerked but didn't crash.

She'd fired two more rounds before police sirens began to sound and Roman took a sharp turn to try and avoid them. Katrina was quick to stay on him, but that meant that now she was the easiest target for the cops to shoot at.

"See how you like it!" Roman screeched as Katrina ducked, the bullets taking out her back windscreen.

"Jakandae!" Katrina screamed through her comms. "That hunk of metal has missiles and a Gatling fun. Fucking barbecue these blue bastards already!"

"Move!" Jakande ordered, not wanting to lose an asset yet.

Katrina grinned because she could feel the dread that flowed from Roman's car as she switched feet and hit dead brakes.

The Predator roared over her car as it chased after them, the police cars zooming past her, save for the one that tapped the back of her car as they'd tried to stop. A few bullets took care of them as she watched the rest of them go up in flames as Roman barely avoided the missile and let the cop cars take it.

She could hear the sound of the Gatling gun as it destroyed the streets, the stores that lined the streets, and the cars parked on it, as she manoeuvred out from all the carnage and back onto a clear street.

It wasn't long before she was back behind Roman's car, her gun aimed from outside her window. And the bullets let it up as she heard Roman let out a string of curse words as she clipped his arm – again. This time though, it was only a graze as he was forced to drive with one hand.

Katrina slammed onto her brakes again as she heard the familiar sound of the Predator flying overhead. Her grip on the wheel was like a vice as she watched the drone let loose a missile that finally turned the car into a pool of melted metal. But that wasn't the only thing she saw.

"Once again, Jakande, you missed," she informed him and she listened to the man curse as he used God's Eye to confirm that the three of them had jumped clear of the car before shoving Ramsey into Letty's car.

Renewed with a new sense of maliciousness and rage at the sight of Dom's partner, Katrina shifted her car into gear as she pressed the pedal to the floor. Her tyres squealed on the pavement as Roman and Tej barely jumped clear of her car as she chased after Letty.

Roman lifted Tej's walkie to his lips. "Letty, Katrina's on your ass! Go faster!"

The woman didn't bother responding to the obvious statement.