Chapter One: Savior

Author's Note:

Oh come on, I'm obsessed with Marvel. You didn't see this coming? ;)
*************
Chapter One

My alarm blares just a few inches away from my ear, and I mentally curse myself for deciding to go to a job interview today. Insomnia struck last night, leaving me an exhausted mess. Rolling out of bed, I hit the off button on my clock and stretch. All my aches and joints pop and strain, before relaxing, making me want to just crawl back under the covers.

I walk through my apartment to the kitchen. Thankfully, it was small enough to have little rent, but big enough to have room for me. In the living room is a small TV, a cheap red couch, a coffee table. Next to the living room is the kitchen, connecting the two is a bar with two stools. Just off the living room is my bedroom, with a queen size bed, a nightstand, a dresser, a small closet, and a bathroom with a stand-up shower.

After making and devouring a couple of frozen waffles, I walk back to my bathroom and turn on the shower, letting it get warm before stripping from my pajamas and getting in. The sharp sting of the hot water wakes my nerves instantly. I do everything but wash my hair considering I washed it last night, and a small mini-concert as usual, then turn the water off. Even with my quick shower, my mirror was fogged up.

Putting on my undergarments, I walk to the closet to pick out a good outfit for the interview. I decide on a knee length black dress, with pantyhose and short black boots with a small heel. My hair was already dry, and I amp it up a little by adding a slight curl to my already wavy, blonde, before doing my makeup.

When I'm finally ready, I grab my purse and walk out the door, locking it behind me. I wave over a taxi and when I get in I tell him the address. In the taxi I run over everything in my head.

The taxi stops next to the curb, so after paying the guy I step out of the car and sigh. Stark Industries. The big fish in New York City.

I walk in and straight to the secretary's desk. "My name is Riley Jensen and I have an interview." I tell her, tapping my fingers on the counter.

"Yes, here you are. If you will follow me, I will lead you to Ms. Hill's office." The secretary stands from her seat before coming around the desk and walking down the hall. Quickly, I followed her, crossing my fingers. She stops next to a doorway with the name Maria Hill painted on it. "Here we are. She'll probably be waiting so feel free to just walk in."

I take a deep breath and turn the doorknob. Behind the desk is a woman with short brown hair pulled into a ponytail. She has a phone pressed firmly against her ear and seems to be having an intense conversation. Nonetheless, she smiles at me and motions for me to sit down.

"I don't care what you say, he's in charge. No one else. I will only follow his orders, do you understand?" Maria Hill states, before slamming the phone back on the receiver.

"Tough day?" I ask jokingly, and she nods with a smile. Glad she can joke.

"You have no idea." She laughs and sits down in her chair. "So, you want to apply here at Stark Industries?"

"Yes, m'am, I do. My name is-"

"-Riley Jensen. You don't have to tell me. I already know who you are." She cuts me off by surprise, and I'm sure my face shows it because she shakes her head. "Not to worry. You know of S.H.I.E.L.D., correct?"

"Yes, but, pardon me, what does that have to do with my employment here?"

"I work for them. I'm an agent." My jaw drops and my gray-blue eyes bulge from my head. "Yes, I know I know. We've looked at recruiting you for a long time now. You just happened to show up first."